Preliminary Screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

does anyone know which schools have preliminary screen besides the state school?

what is their preliminary screen formula?

i think VCU gave 2200 secondary application to 4000 applicants who applied this year compare to quarantee secondary applicantion for applicant who applied last year.

Members don't see this ad.

well i know of some schools that do this, including:

duke (secondaries to 60% of AMCAS applicants)
stanford (not sure on the number)
northwestern (something like 70%)
loyola (minimal requirements)
vanderbilt (secondaries to only 15%, but i think everyone who gets one gets an interview)
possibly cornell also

one place to check for these is the princeton review 'best medical schools' guide, that is where i got this info. however, even though it is the 2000 version, i think some of their info. is outdated (e.g. they claim that no MCAT is needed for johns hopkins, but i think it is now).

good luck!

thanks mvalento,

by the way, do u have that website address?

thank you so much,

mty

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford sends secondaries to about 1/3 of an applicants pool, but it is a mixed blessing because Stanford's secondary is about 10 pages long. In Vanderbilt you do get an interview along with a secondary and cornell to the best of my knowledge sents secondaries to everyone. Duke is a bastard because it is only one of top private schools that you have
no shot at if you have below a certain GPA and MCAT.

I think most schools besides these do send secondaries to every one

Arti

Duke's formula must count the MCAT more than GPA because I recently received(and completed) the Duke secondary. My science GPA is 3.33, cumulative: 3.48. My MCAT score is 36R (11,12,13). I was pretty sure that my GPA would get me screened out, I was pleasantly surprised.

Case Western Reserve also screens applicants before sending out secondaries. I suppose they are doing you a favor and keeping money in your pocket. On the other hand, the basis for rejecting you is very apparent. Its all about grades, no matter how flowery a picture admission committees try to paint.