Preliminary surgery university program vs community program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RC2018

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to radiology, prefer preliminary surgery over preliminary medicine.
Is it better to do the prelim surg at big name university programs or community programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it better to do the prelim surg at big name university programs or community programs?

I might be very wrong but i would say do prelim surgery at a big name program. Working at big name might get you more interviews than a unknown community program. On a side note prelim surgery would suck!

Reactions: 1 user
I might be very wrong but i would say do prelim surgery at a big name program. Working at big name might get you more interviews than a unknown community program. On a side note prelim surgery would suck!

You think so? I don’t know much myself how to answer this question but you think he would get more interviews from where? For fellowships?

I would like to know as well for those who could provide insight to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more program-by-program than big name versus community. There are big name programs that will work you like a dog but you'll learn nothing, and there are community programs that will do the same. There are community programs that are relatively chill and university programs that won't make you hate your life. If you've matched rads already, neither one will make a difference in the future. Basically everyone I know that went into rads had the same advice, "do the most chill intern year you can find, always."

Reactions: 1 user
It's more program-by-program than big name versus community. There are big name programs that will work you like a dog but you'll learn nothing, and there are community programs that will do the same. There are community programs that are relatively chill and university programs that won't make you hate your life. If you've matched rads already, neither one will make a difference in the future. Basically everyone I know that went into rads had the same advice, "do the most chill intern year you can find, always."

This is exactly what I was thinking. The guy that posted above said something about getting more interviews which didn’t make much sense since he already matched into radiology unless he was talking about future fellowship programs.

Reactions: 1 users

To add, ask yourself what it is that you want to get out of your prelim year. Do you want strong didactics, research opportunities, OR time, ICU experience, or simply the most laid back schedule possible? For some people it also can be about working with certain populations, which can allow for learning medical Spanish for example. Lots of different strategies can be reasonable depending on what your ultimate goal is.

If I were you, I would just take whatever is easiest - if you already have your residency set, it won't matter much. And you will be killed in a prelim surgery year (especially them knowing you aren't going into surgery) doing so much scut work and q3 call all year, that it can be demoralizing. You will learn all you need to in your residency - doing surgery I don't think will help in any be a better radiologist.