Premed Math Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does 1 semester of Calc I and 1 semester of biostatistics fulfill the math requirement ?

I've searched through this forum but couldn't find a good answer. I've also looked at schools' websites and they were all very vague. I would just really like to know if Calc I would suffice or if we absolutely have to take Calc II to satisfy the calculus part of the requirement?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

What's required:
Some places don't have any requirement, some require calculus and/or statistics.

Personally I recommend 2 semesters of calculus and 1 semester of statistics. Statistics is helpful if you plan on doing research (which you will want for competitive specialties). At my undergrad you couldn't take upper level science classes without calc and stats so it was a moot point for me–you will want them for upper level classes anyway.

Yes I do know that it varies by school.

I also know that some schools don't have a calc requirement.

I looked at the MSAR but some schools don't have their premed requirements listed.

What has been the experience of some med students/applicants? Is 1 semester of statistics and 1 semester of calc (calc I or calc II) enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
1 semester of calculus and 1 semester of statistics will satisfy requirements for virtually 98% of the schools you can apply to.

For schools that list a requirement for 1 or 2 semesters of "college mathematics", some schools will accept as low as college algebra or precalculus. It varies, so check with the school (email or call). With that being said: 1 semester of calculus and 1 semester of statistics will definitely meet this general "college mathematics" requirement (unless an exception is explicitly noted).

I called the Hopkins admissions office to ask them about their one year requirement. They told me that one semester of calculus and one semester of statistics is sufficient. Harvard is the only school I've looked at which requires a full two semesters of calc. Most of the rest accept a similar arrangement to JHU I'd say.

1 semester of calculus and 1 semester of statistics will satisfy requirements for virtually 98% of the schools you can apply to.

For schools that list a requirement for 1 or 2 semesters of "college mathematics", some schools will accept as low as college algebra or precalculus. It varies, so check with the school (email or call). With that being said: 1 semester of calculus and 1 semester of statistics will definitely meet this general "college mathematics" requirement (unless an exception is explicitly noted).
I called the Hopkins admissions office to ask them about their one year requirement. They told me that one semester of calculus and one semester of statistics is sufficient. Harvard is the only school I've looked at which requires a full two semesters of calc. Most of the rest accept a similar arrangement to JHU I'd say.
Thanks!

I looked at the Harvard site and I think for the 2016 requirements they said they accept statistics a 1 semester of calc as well?
Do you think taking a somewhat easier calculus course like calc I over multivariable calculus would be looked down by adcoms at highly competitive schools, esp. if most people have calculus above calc I on their transcript?

Thanks!

I looked at the Harvard site and I think for the 2016 requirements they said they accept statistics a 1 semester of calc as well?
Do you think taking a somewhat easier calculus course like calc I over multivariable calculus would be looked down by adcoms at highly competitive schools, esp. if most people have calculus above calc I on their transcript?

Just take calculus. It doesn't matter.

Thanks!

That world be news to me! If their new requirement allows for one semester of calc and one of stats, that's awesome. Stats is a lot easier. As far as I know, basic, bare-bones college calculus is fine with most AdComs. Which is good for me. I wouldn't touch multi-variable with a ten-foot pole.