Premed Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The med schools I've looked at all said that one year of physics is the minimum. Since Physics isn't exactly something I'm head-over-heels in love with, will it look bad if I just stick with the minimum requirement and just take 1 year of physics? Will they see that as "slacking off?"

Also, in my college, there are 4 different levels of intro physics: 170 (no physics experience), 180 (with AP experience but more intensive), 200 (for students with extensive background), and 260 (most advanced intro physics course). I'm thinking about taking either 180 or 200 b/c 170 and 260 probably aren't suitable for me. Will med schools look down on that because I didn't choose the most rigorous course?

Members don't see this ad.

You only need algebra-bases physics, so take that one. Also, consult with advisors at your school to make sure you will take the correct course

Members don't see this ad :)
The med schools I've looked at all said that one year of physics is the minimum. Since Physics isn't exactly something I'm head-over-heels in love with, will it look bad if I just stick with the minimum requirement and just take 1 year of physics? Will they see that as "slacking off?"

No, this is typical.

Also, in my college, there are 4 different levels of intro physics: 170 (no physics experience), 180 (with AP experience but more intensive), 200 (for students with extensive background), and 260 (most advanced intro physics course). I'm thinking about taking either 180 or 200 b/c 170 and 260 probably aren't suitable for me. Will med schools look down on that because I didn't choose the most rigorous course?
No, this is typical. Unless you are good at math, take the algebra-based course. Calc-based is actually easier if you have physics/math backgrounds, but is far from necessary. As mentioned, take the course that your school recognizes as typical for the pre-professional routes.

Also, make sure you work your ass off in this course and internalize the material. In regards to the MCAT, it will be a significant portion of it.

will it look bad if I just stick with the minimum requirement and just take 1 year of physics?

Will med schools look down on that because I didn't choose the most rigorous course?

The majority of pre-meds never take more than the required physics, and you wouldn't be looked down on for taking algebra-based physics. That is just silly.