-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Premed to predental?
Started by Sourgrapesss
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Shadowing hours and DAT
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In general, it's easier to get into DO school than it is to get into dental school, just fyi.
Please don't use dental school as a back up. It's not a back up. You have to want to be a dentist or you will hate your job.
She probably would.Please don't use dental school as a back up. It's not a back up. You have to want to be a dentist or you will hate your job.
Dental would be so boring...you are limited to the teeth of all places. Yawn.
If medical school doesn't work out, what else do I need to do for dental?
Dental would be so boring...you are limited to the teeth of all places. Yawn.
Job shadow and get your thoughts straighten out. Check yoself before u wreck urself

Go DO or Carribean MD. Don't be a quitter.If medical school doesn't work out, what else do I need to do for dental?
In general, it's easier to get into DO school than it is to get into dental school, just fyi.
based on what facts can you make this statement that DO school is less competitive than Dental programs? because of grade replacement?
Go DO or Carribean MD. Don't be a quitter.
LOL carribean MD please stay away from it...with all due respect
Regardless of what's easier, if you don't want to spend your days looking at teeth, don't bother with dentistry.
Oh brother.... thousands of people move on to US residencies from Caribbean MD schools every year. Go to a big four, work hard, and you'll make it.LOL carribean MD please stay away from it...with all due respect
Oh brother.... thousands of people move on to US residencies from Caribbean MD schools every year. Go to a big four, work hard, and you'll make it.
Yes, but that does not mean 80% of all IMGs grads from big four will get accepted to US residencies. I heard the number is less than 50%. and with expanding DO class sizes and regulations, US residencies for IMGs from big four will shrink and become harder.
What can you do with an MD degree with no residence from a big four?
Yes, but that does not mean 80% of all IMGs grads from big four will get accepted to US residencies. I heard the number is less than 50%. and with expanding DO class sizes and regulations, US residencies for IMGs from big four will shrink and become harder.
What can you do with an MD degree with no residence from a big four?
I don't have the time to look into it, but I have a buddy who went to SGU (graduated in May) and is now in a EM residency in the North East, USA. I have talked with him in great detail about his experience and he mostly had good things to say about his experience. He basically said everyone who took school seriously made it into a residency no problem. I know this is anecdotal, but to anyone seriously considering Caribbean MD you should do your own due diligence and not listen to the rumors around here. Cheers!
Based on statistics for the entering DO classes 2011-2014 published by AACOM and found here: http://www.aacom.org/reports-programs-initiatives/aacom-reports/applicantsbased on what facts can you make this statement that DO school is less competitive than Dental programs? because of grade replacement?
Mean GPA is around 3.4 (and that is with grade replacement)
Mean/median MCAT is 26 (which is about 50th percentile for all test takers; equivalent to a 17 DAT)
I haven't thoroughly researched it because I'm not nor have I ever been interested in DO school. However, I'd like OP to know that if she wants to be a doctor but doesn't think she'll make it into an MD program, she should set her sights on DO instead of dental, which is so boring and gross omg.
Based on statistics for the entering DO classes 2011-2014 published by AACOM and found here: http://www.aacom.org/reports-programs-initiatives/aacom-reports/applicants
Mean GPA is around 3.4 (and that is with grade replacement)
Mean/median MCAT is 26 (which is about 50th percentile for all test takers; equivalent to a 17 DAT)
I haven't thoroughly researched it because I'm not nor have I ever been interested in DO school. However, I'd like OP to know that if she wants to be a doctor but doesn't think she'll make it into an MD program, she should set her sights on DO instead of dental, which is so boring and gross omg.
Given these statistics....do graduates w/ DO get to pick a specialty after their 4 years?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Given these statistics....do graduates w/ DO get to pick a specialty after their 4 years?
that would be their dream but DO grads are limited to primary care or emergency medicine specialty.
specialty is competitive and selective for MD grads. so I honestly don't think DO grads can compete.
Good thing DDS/DMD same right? 

lol @Screwtape please don't advice anyone to go to Caribbean unless you want to come back to states and have to get an emt or a nursing license. and yea, I've decided to hope for the best for this MD application cycle instead of going into dental.
but yall are nice people...a pre dental roomate I had was a total b*tch about emphasizing how dental was sooo much more difficult than medical. like girl they are different roads calm down
but yall are nice people...a pre dental roomate I had was a total b*tch about emphasizing how dental was sooo much more difficult than medical. like girl they are different roads calm down
I don't understand why people say dental school is a "backup." It is almost equally as hard to get into as med school so how is it a backup?
I mean how hard can learning about teeth get...
no.In general, it's easier to get into DO school than it is to get into dental school, just fyi.
I mean how hard can learning about teeth get...
Just as hard as you getting into medical. Your mindset won't get you anywhere
I mean how hard can learning about teeth get...
LOLLLLLLLLLL you are so ignorant. Obviously you bomb the new MCAT and now considering the switch. lol it is just funny how all premeds are so proud of themselves when they are premeds while in reality only 10-15% made it to US MD programs. Poor you!
For your information, although you consider dental to be easier than MD program (which is probably true but your caliber won't probably get in MD program anyways), you will need to spend at least 1 year to shadow a dentist before you apply (2 year gap before matriculation hopefully you don't bomb the easy DAT like the MCAT).
While shadowing the dentist, you will look at teeth for sure. You won't look at intestine.
I mean how hard can learning about teeth get...
no need to be rude..I have a 3.8 gpa as a physics major so i'm pretty sure i can ace the dat...didn't know i needed a year of shadowingLOLLLLLLLLLL you are so ignorant. Obviously you bomb the new MCAT and now considering the switch. lol it is just funny how all premeds are so proud of themselves when they are premeds while in reality only 10-15% made it to US MD programs. Poor you!
For your information, although you consider dental to be easier than MD program (which is probably true but your caliber won't probably get in MD program anyways), you will need to spend at least 1 year to shadow a dentist before you apply (2 year gap before matriculation hopefully you don't bomb the easy DAT like the MCAT).
While shadowing the dentist, you will look at teeth for sure. You won't look at intestine.
also there is nothing "probably" about it. medical IS a lot harder than dental. there is no comparison.
no need to be rude..I have a 3.8 gpa as a physics major so i'm pretty sure i can ace the dat...didn't know i needed a year of shadowing
I am rude? while you come to a pre-dental forum posting how hard can learning about teeth get?
I am sorry for my behavior. I don't mean one year. I mean even if you take the DAT now and started shadowing for 3-4 months, you are already late for 2015-2016 cycle. Most schools recommend 70-100 hours of dental shadowing/volunteering/assisting.
Why don't you switch to pharmacy? it is harder than dental.
:troll:
scuse you I was asking a serious question.:troll:
scuse you I was asking a serious question.
:troll:
Versace, did you make a new account?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"if medical doesnt work out do yall think i should go dental"
i'm sure they will respond about as well to that as you saying to someone "hey if ___'s fine a$$ doesn't want to date me should I ask you out?" (threw in those dolla bill signs for ya)
dont start with me kid. the dental folks love me.
yes it seems they love you:troll:
so they get a little touchy feely when I mentioned dental is a back up plan. aint nothin i can do about that.yes it seems they love you
I am a WOman.sorry one of our trolls got loose pre-dents...I found him...trying to round him up and take him back...apologies from the pre-meds
and so is caitlyn jennerI am a WOman.
what a sexist. can YOU switch to dental or I'll feel sorry for your patients
I have friends that go to both Pitt Dental and Pitt Med. Both parties agreed that the first two years of dental school is harder. @sourgrapes. Also, Idk if you're trolling or not but the way you write on this forum is just asking for a backlash.
my sincere apologies. just trying to teach @vernhart to be respectful of people, even women (omg)I have friends that go to both Pitt Dental and Pitt Med. Both parties agreed that the first two years of dental school is harder. @sourgrapes. Also, Idk if you're trolling or not but the way you write on this forum is just asking for a backlash.
edit: think I scared him off. thanks for your info, I'll look into this more.
i would be very respectful to caitlyn. the fact you took offense to it insinuates you think something negative of the trans individuals among us (trolling a troll is the best way to bait them back, nothing to see here)my sincere apologies. just trying to teach @vernhart to be respectful of people, even women (omg)
hm. clearly I said I was a "woman," which you don't believe, as you referred to me as a "him." Right after, you say "so is caitlyn jenner." please use your glorified premed brain and tell me which one of us was disrespecting caitlyn. yea, that's what I thought.i would be very respectful to caitlyn. the fact you took offense to it insinuates you think something negative of the trans individuals among us (trolling a troll is the best way to bait them back, nothing to see here)
i said him before you clarified (i paid no attention to your name or pic), then i stated a fact for funsies, which you were appalled by bc you obviously don't see her in the same light as yourselfhm. clearly I said I was a "woman," which you don't believe, as you referred to me as a "him." Right after, you say "so is caitlyn jenner." please use your glorified premed brain and tell me which one of us was disrespecting caitlyn. yea, that's what I thought.
a premed who can't see the VERY obvious picture next to my name concerns me. obviously "attention to details" is not your strength. I would hate to be your patienti said him before you clarified (i paid no attention to your name or pic), then i stated a fact for funsies, which you were appalled by bc you obviously don't see her in the same light as yourself
you got me there, i'll give that to yaa premed who can't see the VERY obvious picture next to my name concerns me. obviously "attention to details" is not your strength. I would hate to be your patient
Agree no carribian!!based on what facts can you make this statement that DO school is less competitive than Dental programs? because of grade replacement?
LOL carribean MD please stay away from it...with all due respect
I can't believe how a pre-med and a pre-med drop-out go from the pre med forum to this peaceful, calm, supportive, and positive pre-dental forum to fight and troll =______________=
@versace @hannah_hoac is missing you and wants to mention you. I just want to tag appropriately the defective sperm/ disfunctional egg.
@versace @hannah_hoac is missing you and wants to mention you. I just want to tag appropriately the defective sperm/ disfunctional egg.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If medical school doesn't work out, what else do I need to do for dental?
Sorry to be rude, but it seems you're in it for all the wrong reasons...
I obviously don't know anything about you, but I feel that you should do some soul searching before moving on.
If you're passionate about becoming a doctor, why don't you try overcome the odds and make medical school work out.
It seems like you're trying to take the easy way out, and that's not that way to go.
But like others have said, in the end if you don't have the feel for dentistry you're going to be miserable.
Nevertheless, if you're serious, you need to start shadowing and studying for the DAT. I suppose the DAT could be considered easier than the MCAT, with the exception of the PAT section.
lol ok...i'll leave, just tracking down a troll (if you look at her earlier posts). not like i was on some peaceful thread, she was already starting crap on the trolling thread she started. peaceI can't believe how a pre-med and a pre-med drop-out go from the pre med forum to this peaceful, calm, supportive, and positive pre-dental forum to fight and troll =______________=
@versace @hannah_hoac is missing you and wants to mention you. I just want to tag appropriately the defective sperm/ disfunctional egg.
who said I dropped out? still considering my options. but I agree with you, this place is very relaxed compaared to preallo.I can't believe how a pre-med and a pre-med drop-out go from the pre med forum to this peaceful, calm, supportive, and positive pre-dental forum to fight and troll =______________=
@versace @hannah_hoac is missing you and wants to mention you. I just want to tag appropriately the defective sperm/ disfunctional egg.
thanks for your efforts.lol ok...i'll leave, just tracking down a troll (if you look at her earlier posts). not like i was on some peaceful thread, she was already starting crap on the trolling thread she started. peace
Hey don't be mean to Versace. I just wish that he can post something in this thread. Versace vs. Sourgrapesss.I can't believe how a pre-med and a pre-med drop-out go from the pre med forum to this peaceful, calm, supportive, and positive pre-dental forum to fight and troll =______________=
@versace @hannah_hoac is missing you and wants to mention you. I just want to tag appropriately the defective sperm/ disfunctional egg.
