Premeds who act like doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glux

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've encountered premeds acting like doctors or med students on this forum before. My question is, what do you find most irritating about premeds?

For me, it's when I hear them say "gunner" (which is a term that I've never heard used by undergrads). Also, when they refer to hospital volunteer work as "scutwork".

This forum isn't meant to piss anyone off, so please don't be offended.

By the way, I'm a premed too, but I try as hard as I can not to act like one :p

Members don't see this ad.

"what do you hate most about premeds?" and "what do you hate most about SDN?" have both been discussed at length in other threads.

what do you mean by "premeds acting like doctors or med students"?

Like freshmen who roll into the dorm parking lot in their Lexus with the vanity tag "FUTUR MD"...

Members don't see this ad :)
"what do you hate most about premeds?" and "what do you hate most about SDN?" have both been discussed at length in other threads.

what do you mean by "premeds acting like doctors or med students"?

Since this isn't a thread revolving around factual information, and is instead going to be contributed to by whoever happens to look at it, I don't see why it matters if similar threads have been posted before.

By premeds acting like doctors or med students I mean pre meds, who aren't in medical school, acting as if they have a great deal of medical knowledge or as if they are really attuned to all of the happenings in med school.

lol the other night at a party I heard a pre-PT or PT student not sure say something about his drinking and refer to his sympathetic nervous system:laugh:

I've encountered premeds acting like doctors or med students on this forum before. My question is, what do you find most irritating about premeds?

For me, it's when I hear them say "gunner" (which is a term that I've never heard used by undergrads). Also, when they refer to hospital volunteer work as "scutwork".

Is that why people roll their eyes when I come into class with a short white coat and a stethoscope around my neck? the coat matches my outfit jeez... :D

I feel you. I think its funny too how the big words:slang ratio is actually higher in the premed forum than in the medical student, resident and attending forums. Not sure what that means but a humorous observation nonetheless.

Is that why people roll their eyes when I come into class with a short white coat and a stethoscope around my neck? the coat matches my outfit jeez... :D
And the scope?

Since this isn't a thread revolving around factual information, and is instead going to be contributed to by whoever happens to look at it, I don't see why it matters if similar threads have been posted before.

By premeds acting like doctors or med students I mean pre meds, who aren't in medical school, acting as if they have a great deal of medical knowledge or as if they are really attuned to all of the happenings in med school.

u could've bumped the thread where the same question was asked if you still wanted more input after the pages of input that was already given

premeds who aren't in med school...as opposed to the premeds who are in med school :confused: :smuggrin:

u could've bumped the thread where the same question was asked if you still wanted more input after the pages of input that was already given

premeds who aren't in med school...as opposed to the premeds who are in med school :confused: :smuggrin:

You asked what I meant when I had made a very clear statement, so I proceeded to break it down for you even further. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like you have a moderator signal next to your avatar.

where do these questions come from? is this your after-class entertainment on Fridays?
Is somebody forcing you and skinMD to post? Seriously, if you don't like the thread, then don't reply to it.

Members don't see this ad :)

You sound like a gunner.

:laugh:

Go away.

go_away_noob.jpg

next time try to come up with a decent point to your threads. Trying to insult the exact group of people you yourself are apart of is pretty sad and newbish. And by the way, I bet you act just like the people you are complaining about. And I'm pretty sure its only a small minority of "pre-meds" that act like the toolbags you are referring to.

:laugh:

Go away.

go_away_noob.jpg

next time try to come up with a decent point to your threads. Trying to insult the exact group of people you yourself are apart of is pretty sad and newbish. And by the way, I bet you act just like the people you are complaining about.

Looking at your threads it looks like you started one because you were drunk. Yeah, you're really cool and I'm a noob. Dude, just stop posting if you don't like this thread.

There is a funny thread floating around here called 'Don't worry, I'm a pre-med,' that basically contains a collection of stories about why we're all d-bags (ones who think they know anything anyway). Basically about pre-meds giving out medical advice, acting like they know things etc. The funniest thing I encounter is my family asking me stuff. One day my little brother woke up with his eye swollen shut at like 7am (home for x-mas break ... me likely my sleepy) and him and my mom and my other brother came into my room at 7 in the morning to ask me what was wrong and look at him ... needless to say I could barely open my eyes either. My grandpa also always tries to stump me after he goes to the doc. He goes 'this is what's wrong, guess what the doc said it was?' I usually just laugh it off and tell them I could probably guess, but at this point in time ... I really do know nothing. If you have questions about undergrad o chem and bio ... I could answer those. Medicine?? See me in four years.

I think it is funny when REALLY DUMB people say that their biggest fear about the MCAT is "getting like a 13 on the BS section, 14 on like the PS section and then like an 11 or below on the VR section because it will not look like a balanced score"

It is always funny when they come back with a 23 on their MCAT haha

The funniest thing about premeds such as these is that very few of them actually seem to get into medical school.

How are premeds supposed to act? Is there an "ideal premed behavior" handbook floating around somewhere out there? I never got a copy!!

How are premeds supposed to act? Is there an "ideal premed behavior" handbook floating around somewhere out there? I never got a copy!!
That does not bode well for you, sir

Some of us do, y'know, have medical knowledge. From our learnings. And also our experience. Or being the child of or married to or SO'ing someone who can't quite shut up about work.

Gunning is a very pre-pro activity, most undergrads aren't, so they don't use it. Hospital volunteering is scut. No one wants to make beds or sort mail or file or whatever, that's why it's scut. It's necessary and truly boring.

With this thread, you are acting just like "those" premeds.

Essentially, just don't be a douche. I think that's all that's really involved.

I got so sick of dealing with snarky, arrogant douchebag fellow pre-meds who thought they were hot stuff just because their parents paid for them to "volunteer" (read: vacation) abroad, or because they "researched" a specific topic in a lab when they really were really a lowly lab tech who washed glassware and had his name added to the author list on some paper just because one of the grad students took pity on him/her.

Some of us do, y'know, have medical knowledge. From our learnings. And also our experience. Or being the child of or married to or SO'ing someone who can't quite shut up about work.

Gunning is a very pre-pro activity, most undergrads aren't, so they don't use it. Hospital volunteering is scut. No one wants to make beds or sort mail or file or whatever, that's why it's scut. It's necessary and truly boring.

With this thread, you are acting just like "those" premeds.

Being related to somebody in the medical profession doesn't make you knowledgeable, even if they talk about their experiences a lot. What can you learn in undergrad, or for that matter do in undergrad to get enough medical experience to possess medical knowledge? The only thing I can think of is being an EMT or CNA, which most pre meds aren't.

"Scut" means work that attendings pan off to residents and residents pan off to medical students. What do you mean by "pre-pro activity"? How am I acting like one of "those" premeds?

Being related to somebody in the medical profession doesn't make you knowledgeable, even if they talk about their experiences a lot. What can you learn in undergrad, or for that matter do in undergrad to get enough medical experience to possess medical knowledge? The only thing I can think of is being an EMT or CNA, which most pre meds aren't.

"Scut" means work that attendings pan off to residents and residents pan off to medical students. What do you mean by "pre-pro activity"? How am I acting like one of "those" premeds?

I'd debate that. ~Medical knowledge isn't some arcane thing you only have access to after becoming a 4th circle gold mage. It's a lot of common sense and the backing of science.

CNA's don't do anything.

Scut has a wider definition than you are allowing. "Pre-pro" activity: stuff kids who are going into professional school do. This thread is a classic "i'm a super gunner but i'm gonna act like I'm not" thread.

I sometimes think that I am learned.

I'd debate that. ~Medical knowledge isn't some arcane thing you only have access to after becoming a 4th circle gold mage. It's a lot of common sense and the backing of science.

CNA's don't do anything.

Scut has a wider definition than you are allowing. "Pre-pro" activity: stuff kids who are going into professional school do. This thread is a classic "i'm a super gunner but i'm gonna act like I'm not" thread.

Medical knowledge isn't arcane, but you DO need to either have real experience or have had a lot of instruction before you have it. How is somebody supposed to intuitively know about anatomy and physiology? I have common sense, I drive, I know people who drive, I can change the oil, ergo I'm a car mechanic... I don't think so.

CNAs actually do do things. Look it up on wikipedia before you make that kind of declaration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a "gunner" somebody who's eager to please, is a little bit of a kissup, and who acts like they're smarter than they are? If so, how does this thread meet any of the conditions?

CNAs actually do do things. Look it up on wikipedia before you make that kind of declaration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a "gunner" somebody who's eager to please, is a little bit of a kissup, and who acts like they're smarter than they are? If so, how does this thread meet any of the conditions?
You're reading a lot into my post that isn't there.

And, yes, but it's more than that. There's an ~attitude.

CNA --> nursing assistant skills (per wiki) --->

Wow.

You're reading a lot into my post that isn't there.

And, yes, but it's more than that. There's an ~attitude.

CNA --> nursing assistant skills (per wiki) --->

Wow.

I didn't say that they did amazing life saving procedures. But you claimed that they don't do anything. Have you ever been in a hospital and seen a CNA work? I'm not claiming that it's an incredibly highly skilled profession, but like all of the cogs in the machine, they are important.

I don't feel like I have an attitude. What have I said that indicates as such?

the real gunners arnt even on SDN. try sleeping on that one.

"Scut" means work that attendings pan off to residents and residents pan off to medical students.

Scut actually refers to busywork that you have to do (usually passed down by a senior) but does not contribute to your education (ie, calling patient's doctor's offices to make follow up appointments, wheeling the patient down to radiology, etc).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a "gunner" somebody who's eager to please, is a little bit of a kissup, and who acts like they're smarter than they are?

No, a "gunner" is someone who deliberately sabotages other people for their own benefit - ie, making someone look bad so that they'll look good, taking credit for things they didn't do, clandestinely coming up with a presentation and then presenting it during rounds without warning the other med students so they look like idiots, looking up info on other med students' patients so that they can talk about them during rounds (which you are absolutely NOT supposed to do), answering questions directed at someone else, etc.

Have you ever been in a hospital and seen a CNA work? I'm not claiming that it's an incredibly highly skilled profession, but like all of the cogs in the machine, they are important.

Have you? They really don't do anything, except the crap that the real nurses don't want to do (give baths, clean up vomit/urine/stool, take vitals, etc). They go through like a 6 week program and have NO medical education whatsoever (unless they pursue it on their own). I've had CNAs write down blatantly WRONG vitals and not tell anyone (I mean, anyone that knows anything about vitals should realize that there's either a mistake or an emergency) and they just write them down and go about their business....

Like freshmen who roll into the dorm parking lot in their Lexus with the vanity tag "FUTUR MD"...

My first year of school I met a guy who had a brand new g35 coupe with the license plate "lyl doc"

i'm not sure if he chose to keep it after he failed g chem.

Scut actually refers to busywork that you have to do (usually passed down by a senior) but does not contribute to your education (ie, calling patient's doctor's offices to make follow up appointments, wheeling the patient down to radiology, etc).

No, a "gunner" is someone who deliberately sabotages other people for their own benefit - ie, making someone look bad so that they'll look good, taking credit for things they didn't do, clandestinely coming up with a presentation and then presenting it during rounds without warning the other med students so they look like idiots, looking up info on other med students' patients so that they can talk about them during rounds (which you are absolutely NOT supposed to do), answering questions directed at someone else, etc.

Have you? They really don't do anything, except the crap that the real nurses don't want to do (give baths, clean up vomit/urine/stool, take vitals, etc). They go through like a 6 week program and have NO medical education whatsoever (unless they pursue it on their own). I've had CNAs write down blatantly WRONG vitals and not tell anyone (I mean, anyone that knows anything about vitals should realize that there's either a mistake or an emergency) and they just write them down and go about their business....

My advice to you is: get hired as a CNA, do all that work, and see how much you enjoy it. While it's not mentally challenging work nor does it take a lot of education to get the CNA credential, it isn't pleasnt work. My wife is a CNA and I've seen her in action a number of times. Residents (not of the doctor variety, but of the nursing home variety) that are so mentally ill that they punch and scream when you try to feed them or help them to the restroom, residents that defecate in the bed and roll around in it. Residents that are verbally abusive. Try it, it's fun. And it's all for $8.50 an hour.

I hate when premeds talk about how they don't act like premeds. :p

Just messing with you, man. Don't let the annoying people get to you. Is it really true that some premeds call volunteering scutwork? If so, that's absolutely hysterical. :laugh: If they think it's bad volunteering to do boring jobs, just wait until they're actually paying thousands of dollars per year to do scut as medical students!

I didn't say that they did amazing life saving procedures. But you claimed that they don't do anything. Have you ever been in a hospital and seen a CNA work? I'm not claiming that it's an incredibly highly skilled profession, but like all of the cogs in the machine, they are important.

I don't feel like I have an attitude. What have I said that indicates as such?

I was a CNA prior to becoming an Anesthesia Tech...and I didn't do anything lol. I mopped up blood in the OR, ran specimens to the lab, cleaned up crap after a resection(literally), and washed the mops that I dirtied earlier with blood and bile. I felt like a pretty meaningless "cog in the machine" :laugh: I was basically a maid wearing scrubs, minus the frilly apron and feather duster.

My advice to you is: get hired as a CNA, do all that work, and see how much you enjoy it. While it's not mentally challenging work nor does it take a lot of education to get the CNA credential, it isn't pleasnt work. My wife is a CNA and I've seen her in action a number of times. Residents (not of the doctor variety, but of the nursing home variety) that are so mentally ill that they punch and scream when you try to feed them or help them to the restroom, residents that defecate in the bed and roll around in it. Residents that are verbally abusive. Try it, it's fun. And it's all for $8.50 an hour.

Umm I didn't say it was a FUN job, I said it didn't require any medical education (which you are not refuting, so I don't really see the point in your post). And getting hired as a CNA would be pointless at this point in my career as I am over halfway through med school. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I hate pre-meds!

You just said that they really do not do anything. Which is absolutely false. The reason for my post was refuting what you said about CNAs not doing anything.

I don't know why, but I seem to enjoy valuemd more than SDN, is there something wrong with me, doc?

My first year of school I met a guy who had a brand new g35 coupe with the license plate "lyl doc"

i'm not sure if he chose to keep it after he failed g chem.

Lol, that's classic.

You just said that they really do not do anything. Which is absolutely false. The reason for my post was refuting what you said about CNAs not doing anything.

I said they don't do anything, except the things that real nurses don't want to do. Which is a true statement. That's why they are called Nursing Assistants.