Prep Books Now or Later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tazdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm am MS1 (just started a week ago) and I need your advice. With respect to Step I I was thinking about getting the materials listed below.

Other than perhaps First Aid is it possible to gain a significant advantage in preparing for Step I by using the books as I go along in my classes these next two years? Is it even feasible to use them in classes?

I do know that many of them will be outdated in two years when I take the test but at the same time I could always buy the updated versions for studying right before. In this regard it would seem that the minimal changes in two years wouldn't outweigh the benefit as a whole I might gain with most of the information in them. What do you all think?

*High-Yield Gross Anatomy
*High-Yield Neuroanatomy
*First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: A Student to Student 2002
*High-Yield Behavioral Science
*BRS Biochemistry
*Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
*Board Review Series - Pathology
*Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology : Special *Millenium Update
*Board Review Series - Physiology
*High-Yield Embryology
*High-Yield(TM) Immunology
*BRS Cell Biology and Histology w/CD-R

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good list of books. Don't worry about the books going "out of date", most of the times when "new" editions come out, they just include minor changes and are released for the purpose of making more money. BRS's new editions just came out this year, so they should be good for a couple of years anyways. The only book that I would hold off buying until the beginning of 2nd yr is first aid, there is a new edition every year and since that will be one of your primary resources, it's good to have a recent (doesn't have to be the latest) edition. You should try to use those books during your classes, you will be prepared when it comes time to take the boards.

Thanks for the input, "Superman". Seeing that many others viewed this post without responding probably indicates that your right on with your advice....I just ordered the books.

Thanks againg for responding,

"Jimmy Olson" ;)

I just love that new show "Smallville"--especially the nostalgic setting. :)

I'm to lazy right now to type out a long response. I bought a lot of books that were listed in the back of first aid, and here is what I ended up with:

*First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: A Student to Student 2002
*High-Yield Behavioral Science
*LIPPENCOTS Biochemistry
*Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
*Board Review Series - Pathology
*Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology : Special Millenium Update
*Board Review Series - Physiology

That's my list.
(Don't get gross anatomy. You are hardly tested on it at all and netters and Rohan should be good.