Prep work before residency starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nerdswagg88

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!
Wondering if there are any textbooks to obtain or articles to read before embarking on my PGY1. Other than prep books for MPJE or NAPLEX, I am wanting to get a head start and be as prepared as possible come July 1st. Thanks for any of your suggestions or recommendations 🙂
 
Hello Everyone!
Wondering if there are any textbooks to obtain or articles to read before embarking on my PGY1. Other than prep books for MPJE or NAPLEX, I am wanting to get a head start and be as prepared as possible come July 1st. Thanks for any of your suggestions or recommendations 🙂

I recommend you enjoy your free time while you still have it.
 
Hello Everyone!
Wondering if there are any textbooks to obtain or articles to read before embarking on my PGY1. Other than prep books for MPJE or NAPLEX, I am wanting to get a head start and be as prepared as possible come July 1st. Thanks for any of your suggestions or recommendations 🙂

I'm planning on just doing a little to keep myself fresh. I agree that the biggest thing is avoiding burnout so I'll probably just read through an article or review a small topic that I'm sure I'll see in the first few weeks. I don't want to spend more than 30-60 minutes reviewing: a topic a day, relax, see friends and family, and finally get ready for a fun and challenging year. I plan on enjoying my time off and this is from someone who spends a lot of time during breaks from school studying future topics "just because".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Relax and rejuvenate before you start residency, get ready for the boards. That's plenty.
 
If you are planning on taking your board exams either before or during residency, then that's plenty of review on its own. No need to do extra review. Just enjoy the luxury of the free time you have before you start.
 
Agree with the above...take your boards and relax. Once you start residency, you won't have much free time.
 
Thanks everyone for your input🙂 I understand there is another thread that discusses Naplex and MPJE study material, but real quickly and specifically where did you all get the most practice for the calculations portion?