Preparing for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychapp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

I thought for those of us who are preparing for interviews (in-person or phone), we could start a thread about exchanging ideas for possible questions to ask or possible questions we might be asked during interviews.

I am starting to prepare for my interviews by compiling a list of these possible questions along with my answers. Maybe if we all include some of our expectations for questions, we will all be better prepared and kick major butt!!

Here are some I have thought of that faculty might ask:

Questions about research background
Questions about specific research interests
What do you want out of the graduate program?
What kinds of projects would you like to work on while in "_____'s" lab?

Any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview on Wednesday and here are the questions I was asked.
First - I am a non-traditional student with a career background in the healthcare industry. I have a BS in psychology.

The first question was: "Tell me about your history and how you came to the decision to pursue a career in psychology"

"Why are you interested in this program?"

"What are your interests within the field of psychology?"

"What is it about yourself that would make you a good psychologist?"

"How would you respond to a physician who asks you to stop the talk therapy because it does not work and to just encourage the patient to stay on their meds?"

There were some other questions that had more to do with some of my responses to the above questions.

I asked the following questions:

Do the students get clinical practicum exposure in the first year?

Do the students get to work closely with all falculty?

How is the mentoring program work with the falculty and students?

What is one thing or piece of info you wish you were told when you were applying to psychology programs?

Anyways, overall it was fairly relaxing and not overly stressful.

Very helpful capitan!
When I spoke with a faculty member a couple months back, I made sure I read recent articles and looked at the discussion section closely, and asked if she was planning any future projects centered around this idea, etc. For example one of them was with suicidal adults, and I asked if she thought her results may apply to younger teenage populations, and it turned out she needs a student to work on just that topic.

Capitan: The question about how you would respond to a physician, etc.? If you don't mind me asking what kind of response did you give? I kinda have in my mind what I would say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another idea:
What about questions to ask grad students? I have heard that at interviews you do get a chance to talk with them, and I am sure their impressions of you will be relayed to the professor.

Ideas I had to ask grad students:

Have your expectations of the program been met?
What is "_____" like to collaborate with?
Are you finding it easy/difficult to conduct/explore your research ideas?

Then as just a way to get a feel for the campus, etc. I was thinking of asking general questions about the facilities, etc.

Capitan: The question about how you would respond to a physician, etc.? If you don't mind me asking what kind of response did you give? I kinda have in my mind what I would say.[/QUOTE]

No problem, to give you a little background we had just finished talking about my background working with physicians and the difficulties that some psychologists have when working with physicians.

I said that I would explain that there are many recent studies that show that ultimately that patients do best with a combination of therapy and medication. I would also say like physically injured patients (ie knee surgery) who benefit from physical therapy and medications, mentally ill patients do much better with therapy and medication. When we all have the patients best health in mind ultimately they get better faster.

I also expalined that I would presents thisinfo in a delicate manner so as to not offend the physicians fragile ego and to win him / her over.

lol about the fragile ego...I was thinking along those same lines but I do like your point about patients being in rehab.

I've thought about this one long and hard and still don't know the best way to answer.

Has anyone been asked the following:

Have you ever had personal therapy? If yes, what sort of issues did you work on? If no, why not?

Is there a good generic answer for "yes" and for "no"? Having had personal therapy in the past, I do want to show I know psychology from the personal and professional sides, but I don't want to come off as having mental problems that would make me unfit to be a psychologist. Does anyone have any ideas? My first interview is at the end of the week!
Thanks!!

An addition to this: when considering the diathesis-stress model of psychopathology, which says that mental illness is caused by a combination/interaction of biological propensity and environmental stressors, it follows that one must combat both of these dimensions in order to most effectively treat mental illness (i.e. appropriate drugs to stabilize the biological imbalance and psychotherapy to help one cope with the environmental stressors). In fact, this is what the research has shown.

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
Capitan: The question about how you would respond to a physician, etc.? If you don't mind me asking what kind of response did you give? I kinda have in my mind what I would say.

No problem, to give you a little background we had just finished talking about my background working with physicians and the difficulties that some psychologists have when working with physicians.

I said that I would explain that there are many recent studies that show that ultimately that patients do best with a combination of therapy and medication. I would also say like physically injured patients (ie knee surgery) who benefit from physical therapy and medications, mentally ill patients do much better with therapy and medication. When we all have the patients best health in mind ultimately they get better faster.

I also expalined that I would presents thisinfo in a delicate manner so as to not offend the physicians fragile ego and to win him / her over.[/QUOTE]

gryffindor4982 said:
I've thought about this one long and hard and still don't know the best way to answer.

Have you ever had personal therapy? If yes, what sort of issues did you work on? If no, why not?

Is there a good generic answer for "yes" and for "no"? Having had personal therapy in the past, I do want to show I know psychology from the personal and professional sides, but I don't want to come off as having mental problems that would make me unfit to be a psychologist. Does anyone have any ideas? My first interview is at the end of the week!
Thanks!!

Personally I think most professionals would refrain from asking you why you had therapy in an interview situation. I mean, talk about opening up a can of worms! If someone does, however, I would just give a bland response like "I had some adjustment problems." You could also be careful to use the c-word (counseling) rather than the t-word (therapy) if you want to emphasize how, uh, normal you are.

Hi all--

I have an interview coming up on Fri and am not sure how to prepare, but a little background first! One of the professors from this school (I mentioned 3 in my statement) called me a few weeks ago to invite me to the interview (saying things like you are a very strong candidate, etc.). I couldn't make the scheduled interview day because I have an interview elsewhere, so she said that I could come at any time between the phone call and the 25th and they would work it out. So, I am going this Friday. I am not sure who I am meeting with in the department, just that they are scheduling a series of interviews on Friday, so I am wondering how to prepare?

I have recently published articles for the 3 folks that I have applied to work with, but not too much information on others in the department. I am wondering if any of you out there have any suggestions as to what you would do between now and then?

Thanks everyone!

Sunny- where are you interviewing on Friday?

you may want familiarize yourself with the artciles by the people that you know you will be interviewing with. I wouldn't worry too much about knowing all the research info of the others in the dept bc they know you've applied to work with just one or two people and so they don't expect you to have research interests in everone's field.

At my last interview, here are some questions I was asked:

What's a potential research project you would be interested in pursuing if you were to come and work with X?

Can you see easily see your self living in this city?

What part of X's research draws you? (this was from a grad student).

Do you think your undergraduate school prepared you well for pursuing a psychology graduate degree?

How did you develop your interest in this specific research field?

How do you know you'll make a good researcher/enjoy research if your perspective is only from that of a research assistant?

Questions I asked:
(to grad students)

What are the weaknesses of the program? What are the strengths?

Do you feel confident in your clinical training as you prepare to leave for your internship?

How was the transition/adjustment from undergrad work (or RA work) to graduate work?

(questions for professors)

How long have you been at school X? Do you intend to stay around for at least the next 5 years?

What are some current projects/recent publications? (meaning things that are accepted or approved for publication, but have not appeared in journals yet)

What aspects of your findings from these recent studies are you focusing in on for the next study?

I would reconsider a school if this question came up in an interview. Talk about a lack of respect for privacy.....

"Have you ever had personal therapy? If yes, what sort of issues did you work on? If no, why not?"

"I would reconsider a school if this question came up in an interview. Talk about a lack of respect for privacy....."

While I would agree, I also would not worry too much about disclosing that you have experienced therapy. I am almost positive that any psychologist who would ask this question adheres to the notion that receipt of psychotherapy is necessary before one becomes a psychotherapist.

While I would agree, I also would not worry too much about disclosing that you have experienced therapy. I am almost positive that any psychologist who would ask this question adheres to the notion that receipt of psychotherapy is necessary before one becomes a psychotherapist.

I agree with you and I have no probs with such suggestions being given during grad school. However, I still don't think that question belongs in graduate school interviews :)

SaraL124 said:
Sunny- where are you interviewing on Friday?

you may want familiarize yourself with the artciles by the people that you know you will be interviewing with. I wouldn't worry too much about knowing all the research info of the others in the dept bc they know you've applied to work with just one or two people and so they don't expect you to have research interests in everone's field.

At my last interview, here are some questions I was asked:

What's a potential research project you would be interested in pursuing if you were to come and work with X?

Can you see easily see your self living in this city?

What part of X's research draws you? (this was from a grad student).

Do you think your undergraduate school prepared you well for pursuing a psychology graduate degree?

How did you develop your interest in this specific research field?

How do you know you'll make a good researcher/enjoy research if your perspective is only from that of a research assistant?

Questions I asked:
(to grad students)

What are the weaknesses of the program? What are the strengths?

Do you feel confident in your clinical training as you prepare to leave for your internship?

How was the transition/adjustment from undergrad work (or RA work) to graduate work?

(questions for professors)

How long have you been at school X? Do you intend to stay around for at least the next 5 years?

What are some current projects/recent publications? (meaning things that are accepted or approved for publication, but have not appeared in journals yet)

What aspects of your findings from these recent studies are you focusing in on for the next study?

Hi Sara -

I am interviewing at the UN on Friday. I had basically done the things that folks on the board had recommended and think I am in pretty good shape. I have a LONG plane ride tomorrow to review the articles. But, I just saw that someone was accepted to Buffalo, where I interviewed and I haven't heard anything, which has served to increase my anxiety level! So, with lots of deep breaths I am heading west!

sunny22 said:
Hi Sara -

I am interviewing at the Univ of Nevada on Friday. I had basically done the things that folks on the board had recommended and think I am in pretty good shape. I have a LONG plane ride tomorrow to review the articles. But, I just saw that someone was accepted to Buffalo, where I interviewed and I haven't heard anything, which has served to increase my anxiety level! So, with lots of deep breaths I am heading west!

Good luck, Sunny! I heard that someone was accepted to Temple who interviewed the same day that I did, and I still haven't heard anything, so we're in the same boat.
I interviewed at Yeshiva for the Clinical-Health PhD today and a good question I was asked was: "What do you see as being the biggest challenge for you as a graduate student?"

I'm gearing up for the double whammy of Case Western on Friday, and Kent State on Saturday!

Thanks, guys! :) Your answers have been helpful to me. I spoke to my dad, who is an executive used to interviewing people for positions, and he said that if the question came up, he advised me to indicate that discussion between a therapist and a client is highly confidential and should not be disclosed, showing that I have a respect for patient confidentiality with an indication that I have had therapy. On the other hand, I would not mind discussing other clinical encounters I have had (I am currently employed in human services) as long as no identifying information is given about clients in cases discussed. This is probably an illegal question, and I believe it is highly inappropriate to ask it to an applicant in an interview, but who knows, someone could ask it...

gryffindor4982 said:

Thanks!!