All Branch Topic (ABT) Preparing for Medical Humanitarian Deployments

Started by Perrotfish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have been on the Comfort/Mercy/similar, any knowledge base that you think would have been helpful? Parasitology? Trop Med? TB? Are the military's medical humanitarian courses at all helpful? I'm expecting to do a medical humanitarian mission either this coming summer or the following year.
 
The military tropical medicine course is pretty good. I would imagine that would be arranged prior to your deployment. I brought along "Lecture Notes: Tropical Medicine" in addition to my other medical textbooks. Unless things go really askew on you deployment you will probably get more use out of your internal/family/pediatric texts than your trop med text.