Preparing for NSG elective

Started by Ignatius
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ignatius

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

Question:

Is there anything one can do to "prepare" for a NSG elective; anything specific to bring along apart from enthusiasm, professionalism, etc.

What would you recommend to a student going into the elective?

What other electives would you recommend?

(I know it's a broad, vague, and borderline stupid question, but if you have anything popping up in your mind....)

Thanks.

P.S. Yes I am an FMG, but coming to the US for some sub-I's and electives.
 
Know your anatomy well. Be able to read a CT and MRI for the basics. For an FMG learn the basics of how a neurosurgery service runs in the US. Be able to do a thorough neurological exam using the same terminology as we do here in the states.

Greenberg's Handbook of Neurosurgery is probably the best guide for a medical student as you can quickly review the relevant anatomy, epidemiology, treatment, etc., of the most common neurosurgery patients.
 
Thanks a lot guys,
this was very helpful. I was especially looking for some books on the med-student level.

Cheers