Prepharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuckyGoMoooo

Jersey Girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Applied to:
University of Sciences in Philadelphia
Massachussetts College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Sciences
Northeastern University
State Univerity of New York at Buffalo
Rutgers University
Long Island University
Duquesne University
Albany College of Pharmacy
University of Rhode Island.

I live in New Jersey so 8/9 schools are out of state...
What would be the best one to go to in general, based on acceptance rates and requirements into the actual program after prepharmacy requirements are met?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck applying to schools I just want to give you a heads up SUNY Buffalo no longer guarantees pre-pharmacy students a seat you are in the same applicant pool as transfers when applying for a first year seat. My friend goes there and she was mad when she found out. Keep that in mind if you are accepted. Good luck!

wow thanks, i was wondering about that. Not a smart move then...

Members don't see this ad :)
I Applied to:
University of Sciences in Philadelphia
Massachussetts College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Sciences
Northeastern University
State Univerity of New York at Buffalo
Rutgers University
Long Island University
Duquesne University
Albany College of Pharmacy
University of Rhode Island.

I live in New Jersey so 8/9 schools are out of state...
What would be the best one to go to in general, based on acceptance rates and requirements into the actual program after prepharmacy requirements are met?

Wow .... Rhode Island doesn't accept out of state transfer students. for that you are KO.. Don't even bother applying.
If uyou live in NJ you have more chances to get into schools in NY and the new england area. Rutgers should be your first choice!!!! Buffalo is not that hard to get into but it is really cold up there. Duquesne and Northeastern arent bad. They are also famous in the norhteast area. So does Albany.
I live in the New England area too!!!!

The school you like the best is the one that's best for you. Rutgers makes a lot of sense for you...less tuition, good school, close to home. Of course being close to home may be a negative for you if you want to move away. Check which ones are 0-6 programs and go to one of those, it's most likely the best bet for someone who knows that they want to do pharmacy right out of highschool.

Dr. Biassi: Wow .... Rhode Island doesn't accept out of state students.

So not true...I'm in CT and got accepted there out of high school with scholarship. DuckyGoMoo if you want more info on URI you can PM me, I was in the pre-pharm program there originally.

Well I got waitlisted to RI and rejected from Rutgers for both school's pharmacy programs, otherwise I got into both of them so I was hoping to transfer to the major later on. I haven't heard from Long Island yet, or Albany, but everywhere else I've gotten into. Buffalo I guess is out of the question though because they don't guarantee a spot.

some schools offer guaranteed matriculation and most do not. You might want to check out each school to see if you are guaranteed admissions into their pharmD program. I started my undergraduate studies at U. of Maryland in a so called pre-pharmacy program. After my first semester i realized that i needed to apply separately to the PharmD program.
I hear Rutgers has a pretty good program and favors their pre-pharmacy students. Plus it would be in-state tuition for you.
Buffalo flip-flops around with ther pre-pharacy program.

Rhode Island does not accept out-of-state TRANSFER students. You can apply as a freshman. Good luck!

Let me clear up the URI thing...they don't accept transfers period, out of state or not. They are a 0-6 so they guarantee you a seat in the program right out of high school if you make the grades. Many 0-6's are like this b/c they simply do not have the available seats. If you go there as a different major you'll have to hope seats open up and have really good grades b/c you'll basically be competing as a transfer into the program even though you'd be doing pre-reqs there. I personally don't recommend that route. If you don't get into a pre-pharm program then I think Rutgers makes all the sense in the world. Do well there for half the price, try to get into their program 3rd year and if not apply to other schools...2+4's or 3-yr accelerated programs.

right now, i think my best choices are USP and MCPHS, so I'll have to visit them. I dont know if i'd want to risk transfering into Rutgers.

right now, i think my best choices are USP and MCPHS, so I'll have to visit them. I dont know if i'd want to risk transfering into Rutgers.

Yeah definitely, I forgot you said you'd been accepted already to some programs. I say go for it, both good schools, both in cool cities...best of luck.