prepparation for nbde part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Sahil,
Wanna trade places? My head gets chopped on the 12'th of July..DECEMBER!! Whoa..You've got all the time you need ;)

Some confusions...
Dec '96 DA paper
Q.no 110 = Which of the following represents the tissue
formed in response to stimuli produced by
carious penetration of a tooth?

A Predentin
B.Primary dentin
C.Secondary dentin
D.Interglobular dentin

Given answer = C. I think the answer should have been sclerotic/reparative dentin. Sec. Dentin is the one formed after closure of the apical foramen.

Q.no 123 = Which of the following primary teeth would
exhibit a prominent cervical ridge on both the
facial and lingual surfaces?
A.A
B.F
C.J
D.L
E.T

Given answer = F..Could someone please explain this tooth numbering to me?

Dec '98 DA paper
Q.no 147 = In a protrusive movement, maxillary left Cent. Incisor can potentially come in contact with which of the following mandiular teeth
A.#22 and #23
B.#23 and #24
C.#24 and #25
D.#25 and #26

Given answer = B...Again, 'am confued with the numbering system. ..Does #23 and #24 mean #33 and #34??? If yes, how on earth would a central incisor come in contact with a premolar?..Something tells me that this has a simple logical explaination..and I belong to the 'Dumbo'class :(

Members don't see this ad.

Ya...even I feel for the 1st qs...ans should 've been teritiary/sclerotic/reparative dentin!
Coming to the #ing system....that is 'Universal system'.C'mon relax...it's jus we are new to that system as we r used for FDI system....n were told that it's internationally accepted n I guess even by WHO!anyhow.....it jus takes few mins to get used to universal notation.
Good Luck with ur studies :luck:

AjayDas said:
A.A
B.F
C.J
D.L
E.T

Given answer = F..Could someone please explain this tooth numbering to me?

Dec '98 DA paper
Q.no 147 = In a protrusive movement, maxillary left Cent. Incisor can potentially come in contact with which of the following mandiular teeth
A.#22 and #23
B.#23 and #24
C.#24 and #25
D.#25 and #26

Given answer = B...Again, 'am confued with the numbering system. ..Does #23 and #24 mean #33 and #34???

Alphabet letters are used for numbering the primary teeth in the Universal (American) system. The number are permanent teeth, of course.

#s 23 and 24 would be the mandibular left lateral and central incisors. In the FDI system they would be teeth 3.1 and 3.2.

Here is an excellent link to the Universal system (from the ADA). Remember, #1 starts in the posterior of quadrant 1 (which would be tooth 1.8 in FDI) and then goes to the anterior and loops back to the posterior of quadrant 2 (to tooth 2.8). Then it jumps down to mandibular left posterior (tooth 3.8) and makes its way around the anteriors to the posterior of quadrant 4 (tooth 4.8). So 1.8=1, 2.8=16, 3.8=17, and 4.8=32 in the Universal system:

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/tooth_number.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
A.A
B.F
C.J
D.L
E.T

Well ajay if u there r 20 primary teeth so 10 max and 10 mand so start at right side and put a-j on top and then
k-t from left to right on the lower quadrant with 5 teeth in each quadrant .F would be left central incisor.

Dec '98 DA paper
A.#22 and #23
B.#23 and #24
C.#24 and #25
D.#25 and #26

Given answer = B...Again, 'am confued with the numbering system. in contact with a premolar?..Something tells me that this has a simple logical explaination

Well in normal occlusion Max central incior comen in contact with mandibular Central and lat incisor. In protrusive contact it would still come in contact with the same teethwhich would be 23 & 24 .

Does #23 and #24 mean #33 and #34??? If yes, how on earth would a central incisor come in contact with a premolar

No 23 & 24 mean left Central and lat incisor and 33& 34 mean right mandibular first and second molar.
Look at the link posted by ItsGavinC and every thing would be clear to u.

A Predentin
B.Primary dentin
C.Secondary dentin
D.Interglobular dentin

Given answer = C. I think the answer should have been sclerotic/reparative dentin. Sec. Dentin is the one formed after closure of the apical foramen.

C is the correct answer all the otherchoices r fromed during the formation of dentin. IF it was a choice b/w a secondary or reprative then i have no idea which on to pick

AjayDas said:
Hey Sahil,
Wanna trade places? My head gets chopped on the 12'th of July..DECEMBER!! Whoa..You've got all the time you need ;)

Hi ajay..I like your signature

Thanks Wiz,Gavin and Bond....That really solved my confusion. If someone sees a guy sitting and counting his teeth in the exam hall, that would be me :) If only they had stuck on to the ISO [sigh]. If they say 23, by the time I reach the mandibular left canine [hope I got it right], the exam would be over grrr

Thanks pinktooth :) sadly, it tells the real story. I am always err..thinking[my way of putting it mildly ;)]..am sure you would have made that out by now looking at this thread. Regarding my friends, no comments ;)

AjayDas said:
Thanks ITSGAVINC.

p.s You just managed to give me a HUGE inferiority complex. I am hoping that it's not your pic in the avataar ;)

:laugh: lol :laugh:
That's gavin's daughter!

AjayDas said:
Thanks Wiz,Gavin and Bond....That really solved my confusion. If someone sees a guy sitting and counting his teeth in the exam hall, that would be me :) If only they had stuck on to the ISO [sigh]. If they say 23, by the time I reach the mandibular left canine [hope I got it right], the exam would be over grrr

Thanks pinktooth :) sadly, it tells the real story. I am always err..thinking[my way of putting it mildly ;)]..am sure you would have made that out by now looking at this thread. Regarding my friends, no comments ;)

22 is man L canine.
Hope this helps :)

Bond said:
C is the correct answer all the otherchoices r fromed during the formation of dentin. IF it was a choice b/w a secondary or reprative then i have no idea which on to pick

Reparative would be a BETTER answer, but given the choices they provide, C is the most correct answer.

hi ajaydas, meetlife and others.........
GETTING NERVOUS?????????? ALL THE VERY BEST.........
U CAN DO IT GUYS.............
CHEERS.

All the very best to all the next batch of Part I takers.........just think that you have more info than most of your seniors had(atleast me :( )
if we can manage a good score even you can :thumbup:

hello,
thanks a lots for this encouraging email.
i hope that we do good.

hi guys,,,i wus doing so well until i started doing biochemistry.,,i am referring the kaplan book...dont u think its too vast for biochem & physiology...is it ok if we do only decks & sample quests...plz help...

Members don't see this ad :)
dent_rana said:
hi guys,,,i wus doing so well until i started doing biochemistry.,,i am referring the kaplan book...dont u think its too vast for biochem & physiology...is it ok if we do only decks & sample quests...plz help...

dear dent_rana,
For bio-chem , studying from decks and qp's is good but if you have some time it's good to refer the Kaplan book (like for the cycle's and such stuff)by "refer" i mean clarifying doubts rather than slogging all day trying to read n remember everything.... ;)
Make notes and pnemonics...it will help a lot.
All the best to all taking up exams soon.....
Best wishes and cheers:)
Elementz

hi guys
wat this wes........
how much u should score 4 ece n wat all things u require to fill the form 4 ECE eva....
pls help.....

hi ajay
i have got xerox of dental decks 2001, could u pls tell me how many cards or questions r there in dental deck ofdental anatomy.....

the most convex incisal angle on ant. teeth is found on which angle of which incisor? it was answered distoincisal mand. lateral
but i answered distoincisal max. lateral. can anyone help?

hi samina,
it is another evaluation centre like ECE thats all....... everyone say that WES evaluation is better that of ECE i dont know about it exactly...... but scoring for ECE ...... i dont get ur question properly......

hope this helps.....
cheers

Jenz said:
the most convex incisal angle on ant. teeth is found on which angle of which incisor? it was answered distoincisal mand. lateral
but i answered distoincisal max. lateral. can anyone help?
hi the answer is right it should be distoincisal of mandibular ....as it is noted that mesial half is towards the centre and the lateral half of this tooth points towards the posterior so the answer is absolutly right...check the wheelers if u do not understand.

hi deepa,
how r u doing.......i sent u PM's i didnt know whether u received it or not.........howz everything going.....my in laws r here so i hav taken a short pause..... how abt u ??????

cheers.....

hi guys ho w r ull doin?sorry been gone so long.how is the prep copmin along?i think most of us have rel's from india comin over rite witthe wetaher bein do good n all,got a lot to do.so hard to study am not able to concentrate at all.been a while since ive studied serioulsy.i am freaking out htin king of the exam in a month!!oh goshhhhhhhhh maybe this was a bad idea,.....anyways how r u'll prep?ajay,so lu plan to take in july?anyone here taing the paper test?on the 17th in the us?lemme know we can study together.ok all the best dont let the fire burn out u guys keep it goin,thats what sdn is for!!

toothfairy78 said:
anyways how r u'll prep?ajay,so lu plan to take in july?
Yeah :( I am taking it on the 12'th in Toronto. Something tells me that I am getting too old for this. I finish the last page only to get this feeling that I've completely forgotton the first one[duh!]
Pray for me will ya toothfairy? I promise to send you my third molar in case I make it :laugh:

samina said:
hi ajay
i have got xerox of dental decks 2001, could u pls tell me how many cards or questions r there in dental deck ofdental anatomy.....
Hiya Samina..
I think there are 333 cards In Anat 2001 ...including the legend...
All the best :luck:

Sorry for missing this one Samina...
WES is exactly like ECE. It's a body which deals with evaluation of foreign accredentials.Some people go for WES coz it gives a better GPA. Note that a few Universities might not accept WES

However for applying for NBDE, You need one from the ECE. They don't accept WES.

You don't have to score anything for ECE. All you have to do is send in your papers to be evaluated

deepawadhawan said:
hi the answer is right it should be distoincisal of mandibular ....as it is noted that mesial half is towards the centre and the lateral half of this tooth points towards the posterior so the answer is absolutly right...check the wheelers if u do not understand.

I have come across this site by chance & found that all you people are thorough professionals!
I am also a Canadian immigrant .I am preparing for Dec. Part-1.Are you preparing for EE -Sept. also?

hi guys

How r u guys doing with the prep???????????
Seems like i dont remember a thing :D :D :D :D

Best of luck to all of u

BOND

hi guys.......
ALL THE VERY BEST FOR THE PART 1 TAKERS............THIS JULY......

CHEERS....

hi,
I have a question in patho. I read somewhere that Ross cycle and Golgi cycle are part of life cycle of plasmodium. Can anyone tell me what are they?

AjayDas said:
Sorry for missing this one Samina...
WES is exactly like ECE. It's a body which deals with evaluation of foreign accredentials.Some people go for WES coz it gives a better GPA. Note that a few Universities might not accept WES

However for applying for NBDE, You need one from the ECE. They don't accept WES.

You don't have to score anything for ECE. All you have to do is send in your papers to be evaluated
hi ajay ,
does dental anatomy also contain this much cards,n each card contain how many one or two)questions.

wat all papers u need to send for ece evaluation,i asked about scoring of 3 or 3.5 i read on this message board only.

Hi Ajay !!you gonna do it,After all Dharwardians are famous for their dentistry.
All the Best for 12th July!!
[By the way change your location to Toronto]

samina said:
hi ajay ,
does dental anatomy also contain this much cards,n each card contain how many one or two)questions.

wat all papers u need to send for ece evaluation,i asked about scoring of 3 or 3.5 i read on this message board only.

DA has 202 cards [including legend] None of the cards have more than onw question...
Regarding ECE, if you did your graduation in India, you need to send you 12'th marks, BDS marks, Internship Completion Certificate and your Registration[not sure about the last one..send it just in case]
None of them need to be notarized..Make sure you tick on 'Further Education' in the 'reason for applying for Evaluation' if you want to get a GPA.I didn't do it...and have no idea right now about my GPA
In case you are confident, you can directly opt for the Course by Course Evaluation and forget about WES.

I am not sure about the minimum score needed to apply to Universities..But 3 is surely acceptable..But then, the more, the better ;)

hi guys,
usually in the nbde.......
decks - 60%
asda - 40%
is this ratio of questions true.......?

Thanks Keepsmiling...I am still in India at present..I leave on the 7'th. SO I will update my 'Loc' after 7'th

I just managed to get my hands on 2004 Decks....I was supposed to do the Papers in the last week..Now, this 2004 deck is spoiling everything

AjayDas said:
Thanks Keepsmiling...I am still in India at present..I leave on the 7'th. SO I will update my 'Loc' after 7'th

I just managed to get my hands on 2004 Decks....I was supposed to do the Papers in the last week..Now, this 2004 deck is spoiling everything

Hey Ajay,
Pls do post the difference between 2001 & 2004 decks :D
:luck:

Hmm...Well, frankly speaking, not much..They have explained things in a more detailed manner. A few points have been added. However, Most of the times, I felt that they had just reframed the questions..For example, they had given info on 'Nephrolithiasis' in the '01 editionThe question was 'Calcium in kidney seen in.."
In the '04 Edition, the question becomes the answer and vice-versa " Most commonly occuring form of Neph. is ..Calcium stones, Cystine.... etc"

A few good mnemonics have been added....But I don't think those of us who have the '01 edition should spend an extra 200$ for the '04 edition ;)

hi ajay......
r u studying only the decks and the asda or r u using an reference books.......?

cheers.

Decks and Reprints Zindabaad SSaug.....[ I notice you've changed your avataar ;)]

Somebody help me please..I just realized that I've misplaced questions 67 to 82 from 1989 Micropath reprints..Could someone send me the questions please?

Hey guys i just got to new york a few days ago and i'm registerd for july 9th for the CBT!!!! so just pray for me please andi 'll be sure to let u all know how it went...as long as it dind't go SO bad that i end up locknig myself in my hotel room for a couple weeks :eek:

hi ajay,
thx a lot......
ALL THE VERY BEST ...... i wish u get the magical score of 90+ ......

cheers.

hi guys.......
i hav a question.......BIOCHEMISTRY....ENZYMES.....

which amylase listed below converts starch to maltose and dextrins.........?
answer - beta - amylase....

the options being
alpha - amylase
beta - amylase
gluca - amylase
but in the explanation it is alpha - amylase also yields maltose and alpha - dextrin and maltotriose.
so, iam jus little confused which would b the more appropriate answer.

Alpha amylase basically converts starch to Oligosaccharide while Beta amylase converts starch to maltose and dextr..
The correct answer is B-amylase..

hi ajay,
thats right.......
it converts it into oligossacharide which includes maltose and dextrins.......
thats y i am confused about the specificity......

cheers....

hi everyone
I am pretty new to this forum but wanted to wish u all the very best for july 12th
I keep reading the ques each of u help the others with
it's great
I would like a favour
I really need someone to explain those excursion ques to me in DA
I never get them correct as to where the cusp lies in lateral or forward excursion
is there some book I could refer to or some rule I shud follow
plz help me
thank u

dentistforu try and do DA from kaplan. its pretty good. its the only thing that explains all the movements. u might need to read it twice at least to understand what they are trying to say but its worth it. after that, just try and mimic those movements in your mouth during the exam and see what answer u get!!!

ssaug said:
hi deepa,
how r u doing.......i sent u PM's i didnt know whether u received it or not.........howz everything going.....my in laws r here so i hav taken a short pause..... how abt u ??????

cheers.....
hi howz u,long time no message.
anyway studies r going ok, but i think i am not actually retaining anything...i do not know why and how should i revise .
have y decided the date for ur exam,please tellme howz everything at ur end.break is a must...u should enjoy fully.have u done the course once?
write in details.
sorry for not replying the pm as i did not check that .
see ya.enjoy the BREAK!

ssaug said:
hi guys,
howzzit going
hi deepa,
i dont know i sent u many pms but i dont know whether it reached u coz i didnt get any reply from u, so if u see this msg, pls PM me........

hi treasure.......
how about u ????? my in-laws hav come here so jus a little break ....... i guess ill start it from today......

bye
cheers

hi ,sorry again,but i was a bit busy too.
my inbox is nearly full so i did not want to even touch as it would take a lot time in deleting
but now i would definitly keep in touch with you.
bye.all the best.

hi deepa,
i havent decided yet........this week there will b guests in our house ..i guess theyll b staying for a week so after that i could just b a little stable and later decide about it....... i hav planned to take it up like in october ....how about u???

cheers

toothmail said:
dentistforu try and do DA from kaplan. its pretty good. its the only thing that explains all the movements. u might need to read it twice at least to understand what they are trying to say but its worth it. after that, just try and mimic those movements in your mouth during the exam and see what answer u get!!!
thanks toothmail
i did study the kaplan notes but a doubt

july 89 ques no.7-9 dental anat
i did not get how we figure out it is a working movement not a protrusive
could someone explain that
thank u

To Ssaug = Let me reframe my sentence..B-amylase specifically converts starch to ....while A-am. includes many other things..[that's what I have stuffed into my mind through the decks..;)

To Dentistforu = Regarding the moments, even I had the same problem. What I have started doing is use my fists to simulate the moments. I know there is a possibility that everyone might end up staring at me in the exam centre..Fortunately, no one knows me over there ;)I found it much easier compared to moving my mandible left and right as I don't have to imagine anything...instead, I make it happen with the fists and get the right answer[the lower second finger knuckle lying in the centre of the upper corresponds to the distofac cusp of mand lying ..blah blah]
Try it and lemme know..
p.s don't try it if front of your girl...she might pull you along to a psychologist ;)