Prepping for what's ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLongRoad87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a Prospective med Student, i'm looking for more ways to prepare myself for the future. Living in Colorado Springs until Feb 2013 and then seperating from active duty, transfering half my Online BS which ill have by then to a conventional program and finishing that, getting ready for MCAT etc, but since im not doing the pre-reqs until I go back to school full time i will have alot of free time to do the other stuff schools are looking for. I am truely interested in showing some initiative even though I could be a good 5 yrs from applying into a Med Program, i want to build up a good resume. I'm trying to make the next 3 yrs the time I build up a bulky resume of Volunteer, Research, etc so that when I go to finish my BS I can just focus on mostly that and MCAT studies.

What are some things I can do to better prepare myself other than volunteer oppurtunities? I have never had trouble finding volunteer oppurtunities and working in Med Admin i'm in the right environment to get some shadowing done. How can I go about starting up a research project or is it too early to think about that?

And speaking of volunteer oppurtunities, what are some good international volunteer oppurtunities available that may be of interest, especially those of very little or no cost, i've already said that if im able to do something like that Id be willing to take a week or two of leave to do so, jsut dont know if the oppurtunity will still present while im in the Air Force. Any other recemmondations are muich appreciated, if you were in my shoes what would u be focusing on?

Members don't see this ad.

first off all, I'd work on spelling..it's opportunity, a lot, and truly. Secondly, take advantage of any medical training (emt, first responder, cpr) that the air force has to offer. I am enrolling in an EMT-basic course this semester to work as an ER EMT, to gain clinical experience while doing my post-bacc (pre-req completion). You might want to hold off on the research unless you have adequate resources to support it. I think any kind of shadowing/clinical experience would outweigh the research at this point, and I would only assume the air force offers many more of these 'opportunities' than they do for research. I could be wrong though.

first off all, I'd work on spelling..it's opportunity, a lot, and truly.

That was funny, I just wanted to point that out. :laugh:

To OP, I would suggest reading a few pre-med/medical student prep books. A few I'd recommend are:

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Without-Stress-Mastering-Sciences/dp/0761916792/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Medical-School-Armin-Kamyab/dp/1434389308/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The MSAR has just about everything you need to know, including the range of stats your college of choice has for incoming students:

https://services.aamc.org/publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=296&prv_id=367