Preprint vs Peer-reviewed? Need Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrongDr

Reaction score
Dear All,
Posted a preprint on research square(Case report) but unable to publish it so far due to lack of funds.
My question is:
If publication in a Journal holds more value than a preprint (from the point of view of residency) and should I focus my energies(and monies) on it?
Or should I move on since: i'll get the credit anyway; if someone cites my work?
PS: Just to give a background, I'm an international medical student and an USMLE aspirant.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by lack of funds? There are many journals without publication fees. Have you thought about them?

The preprint won't have the full weight as a peer reviewed publication.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean by lack of funds? There are many journals without publication fees. Have you thought about them?

The preprint won't have the full weight as a peer reviewed publication.
Thanks for replying! I have considered ALL pubmed indexed journals, couldn't find any without APC, there is just one Cureus, they say, they are free but ask for APC in the guise of "Preferred Editing Service".

By lack of funds, I meant that I don't have any financial support from the institution or doctors where I observed this case, to pay the APC of journals which often run close to $900.

Many journals offer a publication fee assistance program. This is designed for people like you who don't have their own funding source. Take a look, you might qualify. PLOS One is listed below:

• Care
Reactions: 1 user