Prerequirements replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arthuro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Because I received AP credits prior to enrolling, my college allowed me to skip intro courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, intro physics and intro bio. However, I was NOT credited for these courses. I understand that I can replace these requirements with higher level courses.

I'm a biology major so I have upper level courses already in biology and organic/biochem.

But when it comes to physics and general chemistry, most courses do NOT offer lab, and the ones that do are quite high level and I don't feel comfortable registering for them.

Would it be OK to take an upper level course without lab -considering that I had to take lab for AP credits- or should I simply retake my intro courses (would seem odd, I imagine)?

Thanks!

Arthuro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I came into college with a lot of AP credits. I don't know if things have changed, but at the time the general consensus was to retake the pre-req courses and get A's. That's what I did and it worked out very well for me and I'd do it all over again.

AP credit for stuff like intro psych, history, English, etc was fantastic. It freed up a lot of room for taking more upper-level bios and getting a minor.

Because I received AP credits prior to enrolling, my college allowed me to skip intro courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, intro physics and intro bio.
Your college let you place out of organic chemistry with AP credit?

Oh god.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the courses you placed out of...looks way better for apps and your GPA will thank you

Passing the AP and being opted out of the course does not fulfill the prereq. If you did not get college credit on your transcript for these courses, then you do not have the prereqs for most schools. You cannot replace them with an upper level course unless you have been awarded the credit at most medical schools. Therefore, you must take the classes else you run a high risk at a majority of schools of not being accepted. See below for verified information from medical schools on the subject of AP

AP courses and acceptance can be quite confusing as they vary across schools and even within schools. Here are some general guidelines but all these must be confirmed on each school's website.

1) Some schools will allow some AP courses but not others

Example Weill Cornell Medical College http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html

Advanced Placement credit. AP credit from high school can be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement in physics. AP credit in other areas cannot be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement. If a student has AP credit in an area other than physics, the student fulfills the WCMC requirement by completing advanced science coursework.

2) Many schools will not accept them as full and complete fulfillment of prerequisites. Some do.

Example will NOT accept: Cooper Medical School of Rowan University http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/prerequisites.php

No AP/IB credits may be used in place of an actual course, even if the undergraduate institution grants a credit for the AP coursework. Upper level coursework in the same subject area may replace the listed prerequisite. (Note: All science courses used to satisfy a prerequisite must include a laboratory component, so online coursework will not be acceptable to substitute for hands-on lab credit).

Example Will Accept AP: NYMC https://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/PremedicalCourseworkRequirements.html

All courses offered in satisfaction of the premed requirements for admission must be taken at, or accepted as transfer credits by, an accredited college in the United States or Canada and must be acceptable to that institution toward a baccalaureate degree in arts or sciences. (This includes Advanced Placement courses taken in high school.)

3) Many schools will accept the fulfillment of the course (ie general bio, general chem) but not the credits as counting towards 2 years of Bio, 2 years of Chem and therefore require additional upper level coursework.

4) Many "recommend" additional course to be competitive

Example: SUNY Upstate (http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php)

"Yes, as long as you were awarded college credit and the course(s) are listed on an official transcript from your primary undergraduate institution. The Admissions Committee recommends that you also complete advanced science coursework in order to be competitive for admission."

Example: SUNY Downstate http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/com/requirements.html

Do we accept AP credits for our prerequisites?

If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites.

This is frustrating because biology and neuroscience majors at my university are told not to take Intro to Biology, and even our premed advisor has premeds take Cell Bio and General Genetics in lieu of that year of general bio. I do have AP credit for biology as well. Did I screw up by listening to my premed advisor?

This is frustrating because biology and neuroscience majors at my university are told not to take Intro to Biology, and even our premed advisor has premeds take Cell Bio and General Genetics in lieu of that year of general bio. I do have AP credit for biology as well. Did I screw up by listening to my premed advisor?

Do those classes have labs? Also by saying "I do have credit for AP biology as well" does that mean you were granted college credit from your University? For almost every med school they wont accept AP Credit unless you are granted equivalent credit for a class at your undergrad, and it is listed on your transcript. So if you did not take any undergrad biology with lab, and did not receive credit on your transcript for AP bio, then yes, you are in a pickle.

Passing the AP and being opted out of the course does not fulfill the prereq. If you did not get college credit on your transcript for these courses, then you do not have the prereqs for most schools. You cannot replace them with an upper level course unless you have been awarded the credit at most medical schools. Therefore, you must take the classes else you run a high risk at a majority of schools of not being accepted. See below for verified information from medical schools on the subject of AP

AP courses and acceptance can be quite confusing as they vary across schools and even within schools. Here are some general guidelines but all these must be confirmed on each school's website.

1) Some schools will allow some AP courses but not others

Example Weill Cornell Medical College http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html

Advanced Placement credit. AP credit from high school can be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement in physics. AP credit in other areas cannot be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement. If a student has AP credit in an area other than physics, the student fulfills the WCMC requirement by completing advanced science coursework.

2) Many schools will not accept them as full and complete fulfillment of prerequisites. Some do.

Example will NOT accept: Cooper Medical School of Rowan University http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/students/admissions/prerequisites.php

No AP/IB credits may be used in place of an actual course, even if the undergraduate institution grants a credit for the AP coursework. Upper level coursework in the same subject area may replace the listed prerequisite. (Note: All science courses used to satisfy a prerequisite must include a laboratory component, so online coursework will not be acceptable to substitute for hands-on lab credit).

Example Will Accept AP: NYMC https://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/PremedicalCourseworkRequirements.html

All courses offered in satisfaction of the premed requirements for admission must be taken at, or accepted as transfer credits by, an accredited college in the United States or Canada and must be acceptable to that institution toward a baccalaureate degree in arts or sciences. (This includes Advanced Placement courses taken in high school.)

3) Many schools will accept the fulfillment of the course (ie general bio, general chem) but not the credits as counting towards 2 years of Bio, 2 years of Chem and therefore require additional upper level coursework.

4) Many "recommend" additional course to be competitive

Example: SUNY Upstate (http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php)

"Yes, as long as you were awarded college credit and the course(s) are listed on an official transcript from your primary undergraduate institution. The Admissions Committee recommends that you also complete advanced science coursework in order to be competitive for admission."

Example: SUNY Downstate http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/com/requirements.html

Do we accept AP credits for our prerequisites?

If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites.

Thanks for your insight here at SDN. :)

Do those classes have labs? Also by saying "I do have credit for AP biology as well" does that mean you were granted college credit from your University? For almost every med school they wont accept AP Credit unless you are granted equivalent credit for a class at your undergrad, and it is listed on your transcript. So if you did not take any undergrad biology with lab, and did not receive credit on your transcript for AP bio, then yes, you are in a pickle.

They both have labs and yes, I was granted credit on my transcript.

They both have labs and yes, I was granted credit on my transcript.

Sorry for the harsh tone, I thought you were OP and was confused...what you did is perfectly reasonable!