prerequisite in CC for Non-traditional fresh student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovetobecomedds

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi you all, :)
I know this question has been asked so many times but I have searched all the forum but apparently, none of them actually address my concern. I think I have all problems in the world at the same time. I do appreciate it if you guys help me out on this.
  1. personal situation: I am a non-traditional student. 33 years old. got back to community college when I was 31. I couldn't get into college after high school because of financial hardship which made me work to survive. I am married and have kids. I was/am passionate about medicine and want to become a physician one day. I had a hard life and fought to survive. I now work as a computer programmer and founded my own startup.
  2. I majored in Bioengineering in community college, passed 60 credits, and maintained a 3.98 GPA.
  3. I am going to transfer to 4 years' institute this semester.

I have two questions and appreciate it if somebody helps me out. As I mentioned I passed 60 credits in bioengineering and almost 20 credits are pre-meds. The first question is, does it affect my application since I took them to community college?

My other question is, because of my personal life I might not be able to do as good as before in university since the workload is more and courses get harder. Do you think I should switch to majors like business/marketing to get a better GPA or keep bioengineering as a premed?

And my last question, anybody with my situation ever been successful getting into medical school? I am so passionate about medicine, I always wanted to become a physician but my life wasn't like everybody else. Do you think the admission committee will look down on me?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1) Taking classes at a CC can have little or no impact to a moderate impact on competitveness, However, it is ridiculous to worry about it as you cant change the past. move on
2) GPA is most important. If you need to change majors to maintain it, I would do so
3) I have sent many people in their 30s, 40s and even 50s to medical school, Stop worrying about it, seriously and just continue to do well
Sorry for my slow response. I just wanted to say thank you :)
and btw what do you mean "I have sent any people....." ? are you a admission consular? if yes I was wondering if I can ask more question and get some more help :)

Thank you

i did 2 years in community college (non traditional), and then transferred to 4 year institution. No one cared, because in the 4 year institution i continued taking harder classes in my major. Just try to keep up the GPA as high as you can and it will be ok!!

btw incredible job on the GPA!!!!