Prerequisite order

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatography

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am planning to apply for 2010. I still got anatomy, physiology, econ, psychology, microbiology classes to finish for prerequisites. Just wondering what's the best order I should be taking them. Should I take the science courses first or the social science. I won't be able to finish all the prerequisites before I apply since I still need to complete my biochem major classes.

So, I understand the ones I will be taking be taking first probably will be before I apply, which will count toward the Pharmcas GPA.
Do they like to see you complete the science pre-requisite before you even apply or doesn't matter? Because I know econ and psyc will probably be easier to get A and that will count toward GPA if I take them first.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest taking anatomy before or along with physio, but other than that just stick them where ever you want. Since anatomy, physio, and micro can take a bit of time, try taking them when you will have a little more time to devote. I wouldn't worry about getting them all done before you apply as you have completed most of the pre-reqs already, so those will give them an idea of the type of student you are.

Taking anatomy and physio at the same time can be nerve-wrecking. The anatomy course I took required so much memorization of every aspect of the human anatomy. It does help to take anatomy before physiology but it's not necessary. If you do take both at the same time... I wish you luck. I would take microbiology in itself own semester since there are quite a bit of information to memorize... or maybe that's just the course I took. I can't say any of the three are extremely hard conceptually, but are very heavy on details and courses may very on how in depth each topic is covered.

Psychology is pretty straight forward; nothing too drastically hard if you are in the intro class. There may be some essays and projects involved; I had to write a paper.

Econ varies from people to people. For some, it is the easiest concepts to deal with, but it can completely throw off someone not used to it. I tried to reason out some of the macroeconomics material and it made my head explode, but that is why I'm not an economist. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
just don't take biochemistry before taking an introductory biology course...found that out the hard way. This was how it was scheduled my chemical engineering curriculum.

Hi everyone! I am planning to apply for 2010. I still got anatomy, physiology, econ, psychology, microbiology classes to finish for prerequisites. Just wondering what's the best order I should be taking them. Should I take the science courses first or the social science. I won't be able to finish all the prerequisites before I apply since I still need to complete my biochem major classes.

So, I understand the ones I will be taking be taking first probably will be before I apply, which will count toward the Pharmcas GPA.
Do they like to see you complete the science pre-requisite before you even apply or doesn't matter? Because I know econ and psyc will probably be easier to get A and that will count toward GPA if I take them first.

Thanks!!!

If I were you I would take econ, psychology and anatomy in the fall semester. The schools will see these grades once you complete your academic update. Anatomy will require some time on your part, but it is doable with econ and psych. Take physiology and micro in the spring semester. Even if they are more difficult, you will hopefully get acceptances before the schools see those grades.