Prerequisite Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclingkayaker88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have completed a Statistics course at a mediocre school....One of my schools has requested to see the syllabus which I promptly sent it today (Indiana University). The only prerequisite I have not completed is the General Chemistry II series (which I am taking now). I made sure to include another statistic course that I have taken, with Indiana University, in the Recreation department, with my syllabus attached. I also stated that if they found either of these statistic courses to not meet their requirements, I would happy to retake a better course.

What are your thoughts? I'm worried now that all the other schools I am applying to will not like the Statistics course I have taken. Any advice?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about Statistics too much. That's pretty low priority for most schools. They just need to see you checked the box and took it. I haven't heard of anyone putting up a fight about how "hard" it was. I took an online one at a community college....yes, there were high schoolers in the class with me. Perhaps the school you took it at isn't one they usually see so they need to make sure it's accepted. (generally, they just have to make sure it's at least a 100 level class and it wasn't online if it wasn't supposed to be).

Is the problem with the school that you took it at or with the dept. you took it in? Unless the school is not accredited I don't see an issue, but some schools do have restrictions on what depts you can take certain courses from.

My understanding is they want to make sure that the prerequisite course (in Statistics) covered the material they wanted - like inferential statistics. Between the two courses, I feel like the foundation of the statistics I was exposed to ...should be enough.

Thank you!