Prerequisites not finished at application - missing two

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNCafDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental schools in June. For many schools I have most of the prereqs completed, but not all. I am missing Physics II and Microbiology.

While I see on many websites that prereqs need to be completed by matriculation, will not having them complete at application cause my application to be viewed negatively?

I am planning to take Physics II and Microbiology during my senior year (2018-2019). Should I instead try to take them this summer while applying, so that my grades will be ready by interview time?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Nope! You are good. Some schools I know require that you have like a certain number completed, but you should be good if you are missing just 2 classes. I was missing Biochem, Physics 1, Physics 2 and a lab and it doesn’t seem to have negatively impacted my application. The only thing is that some schools like UCLA might go over your transcript during interviews and tell you what pre-requisites you still need to complete before matriculation.

Reactions: 1 users
Ive posted pretty much the same question so if you find my post there will be more responses to your question. But basically you should be fine. Almost all schools at least on the north east are cool with it except for stony brook

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope! You are good. Some schools I know require that you have like a certain number completed, but you should be good if you are missing just 2 classes. I was missing Biochem, Physics 1, Physics 2 and a lab and it doesn’t seem to have negatively impacted my application. The only thing is that some schools like UCLA might go over your transcript during interviews and tell you what pre-requisites you still need to complete before matriculation.
Lmao that’s so true. UCLA hammers you about pre-reqs. I remember almost everyone at my interview had to send in a course description/prove they’ve taken a pre-req ugh... haha

To the OP: you’re fine. You just have to finish taking the pre-reqs before you start school :).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies. So even finishing up 2 prereqs in the spring of your senior year is unlikely to cause problems getting interviews when I apply in June when I finish junior year?

I applied and was accepted missing 2 prereqs (1 being Physics II). If your record and scores are strong, you'll be fine.

I applied and was accepted missing 2 prereqs (1 being Physics II). If your record and scores are strong, you'll be fine.

Thank you! What were your stats, if you do not mind sharing? I have a 3.98 GPA, and 23 AA, 23 TS, 22 PAT. But I have no research experience.

OP: Have you taken/when are you taking the DAT?

Thank you! What were your stats, if you do not mind sharing? I have a 3.98 GPA, and 23 AA, 23 TS, 22 PAT. But I have no research experience.
Do you mind sharing what study materials you used to prep for the DAT?