Prerequisites to Take in Spring 2017 in Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycpthopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The short of it is that I'm hoping to finally start my med school prerequisites in Spring 2017 in the Boston metropolitan area and am looking for specific classes to take and places to take them.

I would like to take classes at Harvard Extension, but it looks like in Spring only the second part of classes are being offered. So, for example since I was unable to take Biology in Fall, I cannot take the first part of Biology in Spring because it is not offered, nor the second half since I did not take the prereq to the Biology class offered. I don't want to wait around until Fall 2017 to start prereqs so am looking for either classes to take somewhere else or a Harvard Extension School class I overlooked that would count toward my med school prereqs.

For some background on me, I'm a Massachusetts native that recently moved to Cambridge. I have a BA and an MS, but need to complete my prereqs. I graduated in 2009 and 2011, respectively. I've been working as a counselor for several years now and understand med school is a heck of a challenge just to get into.

Thanks in advance for any help :) Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

There's dozens of schools in Boston, look around. BU, northeastern, and I believe tufts all have professional schools for people who are working. Just do some research.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Make sure you research the professors, too. In my experience the Harvard extension professors aren't the best.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I would recommend staying in the Boston area if at all possible. While UMass Dartmouth is only an hour drive, depending on your work schedule, that could end up being a nightmare. As you know, being a MA native, driving through Boston takes twice as long as listed. Being able to avoid the pike is a bonus, but local is ideal. Have you looked into UMass Boston?? Especially if you are a MA resident.. There are so many schools in Boston proper.. You should be able to find courses somewhere that fit your schedule. I know a lot of people who went to HES, and all have said nothing but good things. Two matriculated to medical school this fall.