Prescreening Primaries Before Sending Secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickc

OMS-II
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am curious to know whether DO schools screen primary applications before sending out secondary applications. I have a low GPA (upward trend, but still low) and MCAT (a lot LOWER than my Kaplan Review Scores, may considering re-take), but lots of other positive stuff. Also, my PS was strong. I wasn't expecting to hear from anyone at all, considering my below average MCAT. I applied to nine schools, and so far I've gotten requests for secondaries from Western, ATSU, and NSU. (I'm kind of late with everything.) Does anyone know specifically, if these schools have prescreen my primary app before sending in secondaries?

Thank you,
Mick

Members don't see this ad.

Out of those 3, I believe only Western Screens

So, does this mean that Western is aware of my MCAT score? I didn't release my MCAT score until a few days ago, although it came in at the beginning of this month. Approximately three days after I released my score from the AAMC website, I began receiving requests for secondaries. The reason being, I was going to retake it in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that they know what your MCAT is if they screen.

I dont think Western screens primary b4 sending out secondary at all. I've gotten their secondary without my MCAT score... and my GPA isnt stellar either.

Last edited:
how do u know what your aacomas gpa is?

i mean i got verified and i was hoping they could tell me, but they didnt.

i mean can i call them and ask what it is?

Mickc: What is your mcat score if you dont mind?

Cornell87: I also cant see my aacomas gpa anymore. Thats really strange!!!!!!! I am in the process of being verified but the gpa is gone. Maybe they are working on it.

You won't be able to see your gpa on AACOMAS until you are verified. Once you are verified and your application is sent out to the schools, you will be able to view pdf files that were sent to schools and look at your gpa there.

francais7979,
I don't mind. I got a 21O. Considering I was pulling near 30 a night before the actual exam, and that my Kaplan diagnostic was 20; I felt my heart sink to the ground when I saw my score.

Still, I received secondaries from all the schools I applied to:
UNECOM
LECOM
NSU
Western
SOMA
NYCOM
RVUCOM

They are still coming in on a daily basis.

3.0 oGPA / 3.0 sGPA / 21O MCAT

I plan on retaking the MCAT when I finish my Bachelors this spring. I was so depressed at the sight of that score; I felt like not pursing medicine for a bit. Still, I found a bit of motivation to begin to gather my secondaries together and their LORs. Do you think I have a shot of at least an interview from one of these schools? If only they would give me a chance... I know I could dazzle them!

francais7979,
I don't mind. I got a 21O. Considering I was pulling near 30 a night before the actual exam, and that my Kaplan diagnostic was 20; I felt my heart sink to the ground when I saw my score.

Still, I received secondaries from all the schools I applied to:
UNECOM
LECOM
NSU
Western
SOMA
NYCOM
RVUCOM

They are still coming in on a daily basis.

3.0 oGPA / 3.0 sGPA / 21O MCAT

I plan on retaking the MCAT when I finish my Bachelors this spring. I was so depressed at the sight of that score; I felt like not pursing medicine for a bit. Still, I found a bit of motivation to begin to gather my secondaries together and their LORs. Do you think I have a shot of at least an interview from one of these schools? If only they would give me a chance... I know I could dazzle them!

It's going to be an uphill battle since your GPA isn't too hot. My GPA is similar to yours, but I did well enough on my MCAT to balance it out. (I hope!) If you don't have a DO letter, I'd get one. Also, I would apply to more schools if it's financially feasible. Definitely retake the MCAT in January. You might end up interviewing for waitlist spots, but sometimes waitlist spots turn into acceptances! Just my two cents.