prescription privileges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smedly2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
when can a resident legally obtain their own presc. pad????
is it state based??? residency based???? where can I find info???
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They'd need a permenant medical license to get their own. And a DEA license for the schedule II meds. But residents don't need to get any of those things to prescribe meds in the usual course of their work, since they operate under the guise of the institution.

Resident prescription laws vary by state. Some (New Jersey) don't allow a resident to have prescription privileges at all, and you are constantly chasing down your attending. Others (PA at least) allow a 'training license' that lets you write everything, except narcotics of course, all by yourself even as an intern. You can order prescription pads with your name/license on them........which is exciting at first. This license is tied into your institution but it is technically your 'own' as you don't need a countersignature to write a script. Of course, an independent license will allow you prescription privileges, but the training required to obtain one also varies by state.

Beyond checking with each state's medical board, I'm not sure how you'd find more info. It really doesn't matter though. If you are asking because you want to moonlight as a resident, that's a more complicated question and varies by state AND residency program (some don't let you moonlight, some don't care, and some let you moonlight in-house in which case you might not need an independent license).

smedly2 said:
thanks

Usually residents will have prescription privileges under their residency program, including the institutional DEA number. After finishing Step 3 and getting your full license, you'll have your own DEA number.

It varies by state. I regularly write scripts for narcotics and other meds using my institutional DEA that can be filled anywhere in my state, and have since day 1 of residency. I do not have my own DEA, and likely won't for a few more years (whenever I take Step 3, etc.).

If you are just itching to start writing scripts for yourself, your buddies and your family, you might want to check out some of the older threads on self-prescribing and family prescribing.

(and I thought its only NP students who get the prescribing itch)

smedly2 said:
thanks

My program gaves us all pads on day one, complete w/ our name and our institution-linked number. Since most of my scripts in the ED are generated using a discharge software that includes scripts, I haven't used but a small handful. I think the med and surgery residents have more use for them.

They would be helpful for us surgery interns. I probably go through 4-8 on a regular day on the floor, 10-30 on clinic days.

Does anyone know if you can write your own scripts with a Training Physician License in Illinois as a 1st year resident? Or does it have to be tied to the institution?

Does anyone know if you can write your own scripts with a Training Physician License in Illinois as a 1st year resident? Or does it have to be tied to the institution?
Not exactly sure what you're asking. In IL, you can write prescriptions as an intern with a temp (trainee) license. Caveat: for narcotics, your institution needs to provide you with a trainee DEA....some hospitals do (mine did) but some do not. Depends on hospital policy. HOWEVER, your prescriptions are supposed to be restricted to those done related to your institution (without a permanent license, it's unlikely that you encounter a scenario outside of your training program as you cannot moonlight with a trainee license).

If you were asking about self-prescribing, you can technically self-prescribe in Illinois with a trainee license as long as it's not a narcotic or other scheduled medication (can't do this with a permanent license either). Ethically, this is a subject of debate, but it is legal.

Be aware that self-prescribing certain medications can result in further investigation of your prescribing habits. For that matter, anything you prescribe can be tracked and investigated....certain patterns, meds or quantities will draw more scrutiny and increase this likelihood.

Not exactly sure what you're asking. In IL, you can write prescriptions as an intern with a temp (trainee) license. Caveat: for narcotics, your institution needs to provide you with a trainee DEA....some hospitals do (mine did) but some do not. Depends on hospital policy. HOWEVER, your prescriptions are supposed to be restricted to those done related to your institution (without a permanent license, it's unlikely that you encounter a scenario outside of your training program as you cannot moonlight with a trainee license).

If you were asking about self-prescribing, you can technically self-prescribe in Illinois with a trainee license as long as it's not a narcotic or other scheduled medication (can't do this with a permanent license either). Ethically, this is a subject of debate, but it is legal.

Be aware that self-prescribing certain medications can result in further investigation of your prescribing habits. For that matter, anything you prescribe can be tracked and investigated....certain patterns, meds or quantities will draw more scrutiny and increase this likelihood.

Thank you- that's what I wanted to know. I was just curious if, as an intern, I could legally write myself or a friend an antibiotic in an emergency situation. I probably will never do it, but I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be stripped of my medical license for writing a Z-Pak.

Thank you- that's what I wanted to know. I was just curious if, as an intern, I could legally write myself or a friend an antibiotic in an emergency situation. I probably will never do it, but I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be stripped of my medical license for writing a Z-Pak.
I wouldn't be so cavalier about it.

Your training license allows you to practice under supervision.

When you write a prescription to your friend for antibiotics, whom is supervising you? Where is the medical documentation for it? Same for prescribing for yourself.

Will anyone care? Probably not. But, if someone cares, you are practicing outside the scope of your license. Let's say your friend anaphylaxes to the antibiotic and ends up in the hospital. You can bet someone will care. You could lose your training spot. And your medmal insurance will NOT cover you, since you wrote the prescription outside of your training.

Don't be dumb. It's simply not worth it. Have someone else write your prescriptions, and make your friend see someone else, officially, for their prescriptions.