prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatone1010

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common for a eyeglass prescription the be different from a contacts prescription? I just got an eye exam and have a prescription of -3.75 for glasses and -3.50 for contact lenses, I never had a different prescription like that so was just wondering.
The optometrist said the higher up in prescription you go, there is difference.

Members don't see this ad.

When you get up to higher powers (usually over +/- 4.00D) you have to bring the prescription down. Since the spectacle prescription sits away from the face you need more power than when the Rx is 14mm closer on your eyeball. This really only causes problems in higher powers. So, your doctor lowered your Rx on your contacts. It happens all the time and is very common. But sometimes observant patients (like youself) notice and ask us about it. :D ;)

So, no big deal. Good luck with the new contacts!!

That is very normal. It all has to do with focal lengths, someone who has had optics can describe it better. The Rx in the glasses sits further from your retina than the contact. Therefore, they need different focal lengths so the retina can focus of the image. My sister's glasses Rx is a OD-12.00 OS-12.50, her contacts a like a OD-9.75 OS-10.00. I could be off on this, I don't know how it all works. But what I'm trying to say is, your OD is right. A "lower" rx, like in the 3's is only going to have a quater diapter or so difference between them. While higher ones can have a whole diapter or more difference.

If you remember from physics, P=-1/f
f=focal length (m)
P=power (diapters)
The neg. sign indicates a concave lens

Your glasses sit about 2cm from your face, while your contacts are basically at a distance of 0cm. Your Rx of -3.75 means the image is going to be projected at a distance of 0.267 m. The Math: P=-1/0.267=-3.75. Now add the 2 cm to the distance so the image will be projected further away to find the contact lens Rx. P=-1/0.286=-3.50.

Now look at my sister:
Glasses=P=-1/.08=-12.50
Contacts=P=-1/.10=-10.00

Got to love Physics!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all your help guys,

I can't wait to learn all this stuff once optometry school starts

hey r_salis,

I am going to SUNY this fall, only a couple more months