Presenting during 3d year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItchyPlacenta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm going to be a 3d year soon and wanted advice on a problem I have. I'm a naturally shy and introverted person and I absolutely HATE giving presentations/being put on the spot because I tend to get nervous and am easily flustered. I'm fine if its in front of a small group like 5-6 ppl. but get more nervous when its around a larger group. I was wondering how often did you guys have to give presentations/put on the spot in front of larger groups? Also, any advice for me on how to survive next year would be appreciated!:scared:

All the time, like on rounds or just whenever the residents or attendings feel like pimping you. Feel free to take a guess if you're not sure, or if you don't have a clue then just say so.

Presentations are less frequent, but you should expect to do several throughout the year for your team. I doubt you'd have to give a big presentation, like in front of the whole medicine department. But if the attending asks you what "X" is, then be prepared to briefly (1-2 minutes) talk about "X" on the next day's rounds.

How do you get over being shy? I don't know. Just stay engaged as much as possible when the residents or attendings are discussing something. You don't want to be asked something only for them to find out that you were spacing out.

I know from experience that the best way to get over being shy is just to make an effort to talk more. Gradually you will get more comfortable with it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm naturally shy as well, and I used to get around it by pretending I'm an actress. Just play the role -- act confident! After a while, you'll see that maybe you're not so shy after all, and presentations will get easier and easier the more of them you do.

We don't usually have to present in front of more than 6 or so people. If the group is any larger than that, they don't really want students to present because they know we make mistakes.

If you have time to practice your presentations, then that would really help.

Most presentations in third year are to small groups that you're going to work with every day.

The only times I presented to larger groups were when I volunteered to do so.

Not being a shy person myself I can only try to empathize but I'm guessing just rounding everyday will be pretty good conditioning for public speaking. I mean, ya gotta talk...

A number of my classmates end up taking Beta Blockers so they can get through their presentations. They work well for them.

A number of my classmates end up taking Beta Blockers so they can get through their presentations. They work well for them.

Lame.

I heard about that too, but usually people take beta blockers before interviews. It's good to try it out sometime BEFORE the actual interview so that you know how it works on your body.

Not much different from people taking Ritalin to stay awake:laugh:

The Med Student Ritalin Cocktail Recipe

Ingredients: 2 tabs Ritalin, crushed
1 jug of water
Mix well and drink one cup whenever you feel like sleeping.:laugh:

Has anyone tried?