Presenting ECs as a Non Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AnotherLawyer

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've taken a close look at my ECs as I get closer to applying. I was happy to (re)discover that I did quite a bit back when I was a student. I have 500+ hours as a volunteer EMT and 1000+ hours as a volunteer fireman in college. 400+ hours of probono activities in law school. A bunch of other miscellaneous stuff from that time.

But then my professional career and parenthood kicked in. As a working adult my volunteer activities have been fewer and farther between. I probably average around 30-50 hours per year doing various legal/Army volunteer related stuff. I have about 50 recent shadowing hours and I plan to pick up 100-200 hours of clinical volunteering over the next year leading into my application.

I know my shadowing plus clinical volunteering puts me around the SDN minimum recommended numbers. Do you think that is problematic, or does the fact that I had decent ECs back when I was a traditional student make my current minimum numbers better?

Hopefully some adcoms can weigh in too. @Goro
 
I'm sorry to hi-jack, AnotherLawyer, but I have a follow-up. Like you, I'm many years removed from undergrad, but I was very active in campus and community affairs at that time, and I continue to be very active in the community now. I'm wondering how far back to go with listing my activities. I probably get in around 300 hours of service every year between my various organizations, and that's been the case for me for the past six or seven years. Should I also be talking about the stuff I did in college 10+ years ago? How do you decide what's relevant to list on an application?