Prestigious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Washington University is right up there with the Virginias and Notre Dames. It may not be Ivy League, but it's up there as far as respectability.
I think a student can get a good education from any accredited school in the U.S. I think medical schools also look at the impressive factor. They like to boast that they have X number of students from the ivy leagues.

Universities like MIT, Stanford, or Georgetown are very impressive, but not as impressive as when you mention ivy league.

It's a shame that medical schools play that kind of game, but since they do, students might want to think about playing it also.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by cg1
Before Krzyzewski won 2 championships in the 1990's (is that the total amount that they've won?) ... the only Duke that I knew about was Patty. :laugh:

They won in 2001 too!

I don't understand people that "know" they want to be doctors when they are 18 years old and applying to undergrad. Feel free to disagree, but I didn't know my a$$ from my elbow when I was entering college. The beauty of college is the liberal arts experience. If you go through it with a one-track premed mind then you're really missing the point.
I would also like to comment on the "does it matter where you go to undergrad?" debate: It doesn't. GPA matters I suppose, but what it comes down to in my eyes is MCAT and essay. If you do well on the MCAT and you write well, then you are clearly an intelligent person and will be granted an interview. The interview is for showcasing your personality. If you have been set on being a doctor since fifth grade then I assume your personality is sub-par, and that you will be weeded out at the interview stage.