Prestudying before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulfuturedoc17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I 100% know this is a controversial subject. However, I have almost a full year before Med school and am now working a full time job completely unrelated to the field.

I'd really like some productive ways to brush up on study methods over the next 10 months and possibly learn some things that will save me a little time in the future. Is there anything that you wish you had had down pat before starting or during your first year? Cranial nerves/anatomy, etc? Any books you found helpful in your first two years that I could start browsing through now? I'm not planning on hitting the books hard but wouldn't mind some recommendations to casually prepare myself

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have fun, enjoy yourself, and be prepared to work hard and stay on top of things when it starts.

Reactions: 2 users
I 100% know this is a controversial subject. However, I have almost a full year before Med school and am now working a full time job completely unrelated to the field.

I'd really like some productive ways to brush up on study methods over the next 10 months and possibly learn some things that will save me a little time in the future. Is there anything that you wish you had had down pat before starting or during your first year? Cranial nerves/anatomy, etc? Any books you found helpful in your first two years that I could start browsing through now? I'm not planning on hitting the books hard but wouldn't mind some recommendations to casually prepare myself

+1. Not trying to HAM, but just want to refresh my mind. I was thinking of reviewing cell metabolism and some biochem because it was one of my weak areas. Any suggestions from OMS1 or OMS2 students in regards to any topics to lightly brush up on would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. Not trying to HAM, but just want to refresh my mind. I was thinking of reviewing cell metabolism and some biochem because it was one of my weak areas. Any suggestions from OMS1 or OMS2 students in regards to any topics to lightly brush up on would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoy browsing through scientific stuff. Ultimately you aren't going to get anything out of doing that. You pretty much do all of cell metabolism in like a day or 2 if I remember right. Not worth it. Just relax now so you can push through burnout when youre in school.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say anatomy. It's the biggest time drain so if you can get ahead on that, it will free your time up for all subjects. Also, anatomy is anatomy, but I feel like different things could be emphasized in biochem, histology, genetics, physiology. However, this wouldn't necessarily apply if you go to one of the handful of schools that do a block of just anatomy at the start.

Also, I'm just a month away from wrapping up my first semester, so I don't have the full 2 years of preclinical to reflect on. This is just my insight from where I am now.

Reactions: 4 users
I would say anatomy. It's the biggest time drain so if you can get ahead on that, it will free your time up for all subjects. Also, anatomy is anatomy, but I feel like different things could be emphasized in biochem, histology, genetics, physiology. However, this wouldn't necessarily apply if you go to one of the handful of schools that do a block of just anatomy at the start.

Also, I'm just a month away from wrapping up my first semester, so I don't have the full 2 years of preclinical to reflect on. This is just my insight from where I am now.

I would agree with anatomy but you might want to do it through like Kenhub or you can get the Complete Anatomy App and by the undergraduate course and go through those.

If you enjoy browsing through scientific stuff. Ultimately you aren't going to get anything out of doing that. You pretty much do all of cell metabolism in like a day or 2 if I remember right. Not worth it. Just relax now so you can push through burnout when youre in school.

Yeah, I was pretty burnt out from studying for the MCAT, taking it, applying, interviewing, working full time, etc, so it's definitely nice to just relax and recharge. I just feel odd without having something to study, so I just wanted something to go over. I might just review anatomy very lightly.

Yeah, I was pretty burnt out from studying for the MCAT, taking it, applying, interviewing, working full time, etc, so it's definitely nice to just relax and recharge. I just feel odd without having something to study, so I just wanted something to go over. I might just review anatomy very lightly.
I get where everyone is coming from but please understand I graduated in May of 2017 (done with school April 2017) and won't be starting anything academically related until August of 2018 lol I've had a break and am planning on doing jack all summer but am just looking for stuff to review for an hour or so every night during this "school year" since I'm mind numbingly sitting behind a desk all day entering numbers into excel currently (yay health insurance tho).

I get where everyone is coming from but please understand I graduated in May of 2017 (done with school April 2017) and won't be starting anything academically related until August of 2018 lol I've had a break and am planning on doing jack all summer but am just looking for stuff to review for an hour or so every night during this "school year" since I'm mind numbingly sitting behind a desk all day entering numbers into excel currently (yay health insurance tho).

Take anatomy then. I was in the same position as you and it did help me. (Sounds contradicting to what I said above, right?) In short, if you can do ANYTHING better with your time, then don't study. BUT if you have as much time as you're saying you do and nothing else to do, study anatomy (preferably by taking a course). Studying anatomy alone is tough because there's A LOT that you don't cover, even in medical school, so just looking at textbooks and atlases is not productive. Honestly, any upper div. science course will help you in med school. Genetics, EMBRYOLOGY (this is big for anatomy and every1 hates it), and most other upper div's.

Also, check to see if your school has a preparatory anatomy program during the summer before matriculation. If they have one, I'd strongly advise doing it.

Take anatomy then. I was in the same position as you and it did help me. (Sounds contradicting to what I said above, right?) In short, if you can do ANYTHING better with your time, then don't study. BUT if you have as much time as you're saying you do and nothing else to do, study anatomy (preferably by taking a course). Studying anatomy alone is tough because there's A LOT that you don't cover, even in medical school, so just looking at textbooks and atlases is not productive. Honestly, any upper div. science course will help you in med school. Genetics, EMBRYOLOGY (this is big for anatomy and every1 hates it), and most other upper div's.

Also, check to see if your school has a preparatory anatomy program during the summer before matriculation. If they have one, I'd strongly advise doing it.
Sweet! Thanks so much! I'm really not lying my neurons are getting dusty over here haha and my second year of grad school was all electives so I basically just studied a lot of nutrition and pharm lol

I would agree with anatomy but you might want to do it through like Kenhub or you can get the Complete Anatomy App and by the undergraduate course and go through those.
Would you recommend Kenhub over Netter? All I ever hear is how great Netter flashcards are!

I 100% know this is a controversial subject.

It’s actually not controversial at all. Don’t do it.

Any suggestions from OMS1 or OMS2 students in regards to any topics to lightly brush up on would be greatly appreciated.

Get into a good workout routine. Seriously.

I get where everyone is coming from but please understand I graduated in May of 2017 (done with school April 2017) and won't be starting anything academically related until August of 2018

The thing is that it really won’t help you. Even studying anatomy won’t help as each school does it slightly different and you won’t be able to know what is high and low yield.

If you absolutely absolutely have to look at something anatomy related get the BRS Anatomy book. But trust me, I’m already seeing classmates burn out without pre-studying. Sometimes a true break from academics can really help you hit the ground running when you come back

Reactions: 6 users
Not in medical school yet but I have to say I agree with the above. Do not pre study. You can exercise your neurons without getting burnt out on the sciences thinking you're getting ahead. Try learning the piano. Join a Spanish language group/community class. Make pasta from scratch. Read intellectual but non-science books.

I recommend the new Leonardo da Vinci book. That guy was so cool.

Members don't see this ad :)

relax and enjoy

Not in medical school yet but I have to say I agree with the above. Do not pre study. You can exercise your neurons without getting burnt out on the sciences thinking you're getting ahead. Try learning the piano. Join a Spanish language group/community class. Make pasta from scratch. Read intellectual but non-science books.

I recommend the new Leonardo da Vinci book. That guy was so cool.
When's his next book coming out?

• Haha
Exact same timeline as you. I am still a TA for an anatomy class at my university, but it isn't keeping me as fresh as you would think haha. I was a TA for the regular level anatomy class for a while and that was pretty involved, but after I took Advanced anatomy and take her that, everyone in there is pretty self-sufficient and doesn't really ask questions. So it hasn't been as much ever review as I've been hoping. And then I hear random things that remind me of glucose or someone will say something about gout and I will remember that I used to know a pathway but details are fuzzy. And it's frustrating. But honestly I figured I'm going to review it then or review at now. And I was pretty burned out at the end of the MCAT in June and having gone to school for so long, I think that it is a worthwhile trade-off for me to take the hit of forgetting some biochem for being fresh. I'll still look up a few things if it slips my mind and I want to refresh something if it really is bugging me that I can't remember, but for the most part I'm just trying to let it be and know that if it's important they will be covered again and life will already be terrible anyways so whatevs

I'd really like some productive ways to brush up on study methods over the next 10 months and possibly learn some things that will save me a little time in the future.

This sentence encapsulates the folly of pre-studying. You can spend 10 months looking at medically-related materials and possibly learn some things that save you a (very) little time in the future.

Medical school is a marathon, no need to do a 5K right before it starts. @AnatomyGrey12 is right, getting into habits of maintaining physical activity, eating well, resting appropriately, and maintaining mental balance (e.g. through meditation) will help you learn when it's time to learn, and can serve you for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 7 users
I got lazy reading posts so I don't know if anyone else suggested this but DON'T PRE-STUDY OMG. You will burn out so much faster if you don't take time to enjoy your life before you cease to have one. If you want to be productive, just read. If you really dig non-fiction, go for it, otherwise read things you enjoy that are completely unrelated to school. There are so many people in my class who are incredibly slow readers and I seriously think they are at a massive disadvantage. So become a good reader.

No matter what you study it will save you so little time it won't be worth it. You don't know what the professor will deem important to test on and it won't help. We covered everything in my undergraduate biochemistry course in under a month in addition to having more detail. The pace is just something you can't replicate

I probably should have prefaced what i said with these things:
1. I didn’t prestudy and I’m glad i didn’t
2. I wouldn’t have enjoyed prestudying so I didn’t
3. If you honestly love studying and couldn’t ever possibly get burned out... then buy complete anatomy then buy the undergraduate course or wait until they come out with their clinical course and watch those in your free time.
4. Do preface 3 if you have the money and have already setup healthy habits like exercising and hanging out with friends or whatever.

Would you recommend Kenhub over Netter? All I ever hear is how great Netter flashcards are!

You won’t get anything out of doing flash cards as prestudy material. If you absolutely have to prestudy something like anatomy then it should be done in such a way that when you role into the anatomy portion of school you aren’t completely overwhelemed by new terms. You’ll have a vague fuzzy memory of something you looked at. That’s just my take. I was an engineering degree so there was zero anatomy experience and i think I would have been slightly less stressed if exposed to some before school. But in the end prestudying is a waste so if you do it just know it’s because youre trying to put your mind at ease that you are now better prepared for school when in reality nothing can prepare you for medical school except for actually being in medical school.

Learn how to cook or meal prep. You'll be too tired or busy in med school to cook/prepare meals.

Reactions: 5 users
time and time again, people who have been in this position have said not to pre-study. medical students and residents say it's pointless. for some reason, people keep asking and the answer is always the same. maybe it will change next time?

as someone pointed out above, this is not a controversial topic. there is one answer. it's not an opinion.

time and time again, people who have been in this position have said not to pre-study. medical students and residents say it's pointless. for some reason, people keep asking and the answer is always the same. maybe it will change next time?

as someone pointed out above, this is not a controversial topic. there is one answer. it's not an opinion.

I would not say that there is only one answer to this question. There are actually many answers. I especially would not claim that the answers given here are anything more than opinion. Even if you could site countless studies that could show a negative correlation between pre-studying and academic performance, the idea that pre-studying will burn someone out is not fact. Everyone is different. Although many people will be burned out by pre-studying before going to med school, not everyone will burn out. It might be highly likely that HFD will be burned out by pre-studying, but it is not fact. Furthermore, there are a myriad of environmental and genetic reasons why someone may be more inclined to burn out when pre-studying for med school. As I know you have already learned, correlation does not equate causation. So you cannot undoubtedly claim that pre-studying will cause poor (or have absolutely no effect on) academic performance in med school. . .no matter how many medical students and residents may claim it to be pointless.

I would not say that there is only one answer to this question. There are actually many answers. I especially would not claim that the answers given here are anything more than opinion. Even if you could site countless studies that could show a negative correlation between pre-studying and academic performance, the idea that pre-studying will burn someone out is not fact. Everyone is different. Although many people will be burned out by pre-studying before going to med school, not everyone will burn out. It might be highly likely that HFD will be burned out by pre-studying, but it is not fact. Furthermore, there are a myriad of environmental and genetic reasons why someone may be more inclined to burn out when pre-studying for med school. As I know you have already learned, correlation does not equate causation. So you cannot undoubtedly claim that pre-studying will cause poor (or have absolutely no effect on) academic performance in med school. . .no matter how many medical students and residents may claim it to be pointless.
It isn't even about burnout its about pure waste of time. Yes burnout is a real concern, and maybe somebody isn't going to burn out if they pre-study. N=1 but there is no possible way I could have known what to study, and what would be high yield enough. You go through so much material in the first semester alone that it would've accomplished next to nothing besides being familiar with certain words, saving me maybe an hour. Unless you're a robot there just isn't a way it isn't a huge waste of time. You're going to be busy enough during medical school regardless...use that down time to enjoy your life, spend time with family, travel, find a hobby, literally anything because all that becomes much harder once you start drinking from the firehose.

No don't pre study. I traveled abroad and worked during my gap year. No regrets. If you are highly motivated, playing around with Netter flashcards here and there for a hour or so a week wouldn't be a bad idea since anatomy is often "cut and dry" brute memorization. If you pre study hardcore, you're risking burnout once school starts (which can happen time to time in med school).

I was in the same boat last year and I know it’s weird to relax when all you’ve been doing for so long is working toward a goal and now you’re just told to relax.

With that in mind, don’t prestudy. AT MOST, learn the names of the bones if you don’t know them. Other than that, it’s worthless. As you’ll see soon enough, diamonds are made under pressure.

Do it. My strategy was to get lectures from a friend who was already at a DO program. One was at a MD program. They both emailed me their lectures beforehand for the entire first 2 years. I spent a good chunk of time going over them with other things... but if I was in your shoes... this is JUST me btw... my opinion...

did it help?

Not one bit. Teachers test different topics different ways.

However... it did help me calm my nerves down a bit before school.

I actually enjoyed learning this info.

If you have the money to blow... and the time to waste... and no friends lol

I would...
Get access to lectures from friends or second years or whatever.
Get boards and beyond or kaplan videos.
Get first aid.
Get sketchy.
Get pathoma. (with the videos of course)
Have cramfighter set up a schedule for you.
Get an "ok" qbank like Kaplan and/or USMLE RX.
Run through FA and Pathoma with google or wiki if need be.

As a second year DO student waist deep in boards studying amidst balancing OMM and regular classes.... I would DEFINITELY have started studying for this stuff before med school.

That is just MY opinion. I'ma get flack for it but I'm just keeping it real.

You can NEVER go wrong with too much studying. Just being honest.

P.S....

This is for those like myself who ABSOLUTELY love learning the information and having that knowledge.

I know I will get flack for it but if you really want to... go for it.

Last edited:
I’d give literally anything right now to not be studying... ANNNYYYTTHHHANNGG

Reactions: 3 users

This is patently false.

This is for those like myself who ABSOLUTELY love learning the information and having that knowledge.

Nice subtle dig at the rest of us lol. You are the greatest med student ever and deserve a shiny plaque that can hang on the fridge.

Do it. My strategy was to get lectures from a friend who was already at a DO program. One was at a MD program. They both emailed me their lectures beforehand for the entire first 2 years. I spent a good chunk of time going over them with other things... but if I was in your shoes... this is JUST me btw... my opinion...

did it help?

Not one bit. Teachers test different topics different ways.

However... it did help me calm my nerves down a bit before school.

I actually enjoyed learning this info.

If you have the money to blow... and the time to waste... and no friends lol

I would...
Get access to lectures from friends or second years or whatever.
Get boards and beyond or kaplan videos.
Get first aid.
Get sketchy.
Get pathoma. (with the videos of course)
Have cramfighter set up a schedule for you.
Get an "ok" qbank like Kaplan and/or USMLE RX.
Run through FA and Pathoma with google or wiki if need be.

As a second year DO student waist deep in boards studying amidst balancing OMM and regular classes.... I would DEFINITELY have started studying for this stuff before med school.

That is just MY opinion. I'ma get flack for it but I'm just keeping it real.

P.S....

I know I will get flack for it but if you really want to... go for it.

Not even remotely true.

I’d give literally anything right now to not be studying... ANNNYYYTTHHHANNGG

Me too. Six exams next week ready to bite me in the butt.

This is patently false.

Nice subtle dig at the rest of us lol. You are the greatest med student ever and deserve a shiny plaque that can hang on the fridge.

On a more...interesting note, I saw in another forum about a pre-med studying for Step 1 and doesnt start med school until next year...

Download the Zanki deck on Anki. Memorizing all 25,000 cards is a must if you want to pass all of your classes during your first year. Be prepared to be annihilated by your classmates if you're not doing this because they're already have Zanki memorized and are on a Qbank doing board quests at the moment.

Reactions: 3 users
Serious question, somewhat related... how important is it for me to know the stuff I already "know?"

Worked full time while taking full time school with premed courses, completely BSed my way through classes/the MCAT/etc. I literally remember nothing at all from physics... except what the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is, and I barely remember any ochem.

Is it actually important to know/remember that stuff before starting med school? Not trying to get ahead, just trying to avoid being behind everyone else when I start. :)

You’re already behind.

Serious question, somewhat related... how important is it for me to know the stuff I already "know?"

Worked full time while taking full time school with premed courses, completely BSed my way through classes/the MCAT/etc. I literally remember nothing at all from physics... except what the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is, and I barely remember any ochem.

Is it actually important to know/remember that stuff before starting med school? Not trying to get ahead, just trying to avoid being behind everyone else when I start. :)

You’ll be fine, a lot of people come in with only the basic pre-reqs. Most of the pre-med stuff is completely inapplicable to the stuff you will cover in medical school.

You’ll be fine, a lot of people come in with only the basic pre-reqs. Most of the pre-med stuff is completely inapplicable to the stuff you will cover in medical school.
Perfect. That's what I was really hoping to hear, thanks!

I had a little trouble with some of the laboratory aspects of biochem because it had been so long. I was really far out from the prereqs and that’s all I really had problems with. I took ochem 6 years ago and it wasn’t an issue.

If you’re not familiar with the lab aspect of biochem I’d refresh it personally. Not a big deal though.

Know what you should TRULY do? Watch Netflix AT NAUSEAM, because once med school starts you'll fall WAYYYY behind in all the good shows :rofl:

The only thing I've been able to watch is Stranger Things 2 and the only reason for that is because it has the shortest seasons ever.

And also ya workout and get ripped while you can 'cause you'll be doing a lot of sitting in med school. Plus it'll help you for anatomy:

Friend X: Gosh darnit, I can't remember where the vasti muscles are.

@HopefulFutDoc2019: *Flexes enormous quadriceps* Here you go fam, put Netters down; this is real life.

Real Talk: Do your best to relax and hangout with friends OP. You'll have plenty of time to wither in neuroticism while your in medical school. ;)

Exercise, explore the world, bring something unique to contribute to your new class instead of being boring because you spent your free time prestudying material that won't help you instead of developing hobbies or other skills or gaining meaningful experiences. I must point out to you that 99% of people that enter med school after gap years do perfectly well in class. They don't need to prestudy and neither do you. You will never look back on your medical career when you're an attending and be thankful you prestudied biochem before medschool lol.

What I have been doing is I began studying finances. Reality is physician are going into far more debt than previous years and the annual income is decreasing. Seeing that some of us will be coming out with $300,000 and above in student loans I think this spare time is great to learn about finances. Like should you rent or buy a house out of college, after residency? Should you lease or buy a car? When should you begin investing in retirement? What are Roth IRA, 401(k) and so forth? What sort of investments will yield the greatest return at the lowest risk? How can I efficiently budget during medical school and afterwards? Think about how far back in terms of investments we will be from our undergraduate friends! The perk is that we will earn a salary in the top 2-3%. However, you need to know how to invest. Financial advisers are often good, but I was also advised that they often take advantage of physicians due to their lack of financial knowledge.
I recommend getting "The White Coat Investor" mainly because it is specific to the financial circumstances of most physicians. If you read other financial books from authors like Dave Ramsey you will often find yourself discouraged because they are so hard against student loans, which we as future physician happen to have a ton of. However, don't just skim through the book. Study the topics covered in the book, take notes and watch some Khan academy (love the guy).
Reading fictional novels is probably all fine, but I rather read/study something that I have little knowledge of and that will seriously impact my future. Think of the time you have right now. Think about how much income you will accrue once your debt is paid. How are you going to invest that income? Do you have the slightest clue? I don't! You're not gonna want to study finances in med school or residency, and before you know it will be time to invest invest and invest!

What I have been doing is I began studying finances. Reality is physician are going into far more debt than previous years and the annual income is decreasing. Seeing that some of us will be coming out with $300,000 and above in student loans I think this spare time is great to learn about finances. Like should you rent or buy a house out of college, after residency? Should you lease or buy a car? When should you begin investing in retirement? What are Roth IRA, 401(k) and so forth? What sort of investments will yield the greatest return at the lowest risk? How can I efficiently budget during medical school and afterwards? Think about how far back in terms of investments we will be from our undergraduate friends! The perk is that we will earn a salary in the top 2-3%. However, you need to know how to invest. Financial advisers are often good, but I was also advised that they often take advantage of physicians due to their lack of financial knowledge.
I recommend getting "The White Coat Investor" mainly because it is specific to the financial circumstances of most physicians. If you read other financial books from authors like Dave Ramsey you will often find yourself discouraged because they are so hard against student loans, which we as future physician happen to have a ton of. However, don't just skim through the book. Study the topics covered in the book, take notes and watch some Khan academy (love the guy).
Reading fictional novels is probably all fine, but I rather read/study something that I have little knowledge of and that will seriously impact my future. Think of the time you have right now. Think about how much income you will accrue once your debt is paid. How are you going to invest that income? Do you have the slightest clue? I don't! You're not gonna want to study finances in med school or residency, and before you know it will be time to invest invest and invest!

This is a smart move