Pretty Girls ...are they favored for Admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vishal_k32801

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Do you think for same qualifications meaning GPA and DAT

Pretty Girls ...are they favored for Admissions by Dental Schools?

Members don't see this ad.

it's sad to say but i think the way a person looks can help him or her. i think in regards to dental school admissions, the adcom will not explicitly look for someone who is good looking but, for example, a good looking person who flashes a smile, may seem like a "warmer" personality than a not as attractive person flashing a smile. i dont think this is right. of course attractiveness does not correlate with our ability to become amazing dentists, but i think this is just the way it is. i even learned stuff about this in psyc clas i think. =(

Kinda funny you ask. My GF once told me that her class at Nova thinks they were only admitted based on looks bec everyone in her class is good looking.

Its not true, I hope...just something they were joking about :D

Members don't see this ad :)
As much as we like to think we have an egalitatrian society that can see past things like this - yes, it is true. For the same reasons that we will never have a bald president. :) Looks matter your whole life; it will even make a difference when you are practicing. People will automatically assume a pretty dentist is kinder, gentler, more skilled, etc... Just human nature. Why? are you a knockout?

Originally posted by compugirl
Vishal i PMed you.

For some reason, I cannot get PM. If you can E-mail at
[email protected], I will answer.
By the way, how do I get PM's? May be I do not know how to get
PM. Please help.

click on User CP at the top of the screen.

Originally posted by Brocnizer2007
Kinda funny you ask. My GF once told me that her class at Nova thinks they were only admitted based on looks bec everyone in her class is good looking.

Its not true, I hope...just something they were joking about :D

Rats, I applied to the wrong schools! Better not let my gf know though, she'll have me go to Alaska.

I'm not so sure a pretty face will get you in. A great personality and confidence is equally if not more important in my view.

Girls are great in getting out of speeding tickets too, btw. I even saw one blonde get out of getting her car towed b/c she flirted with the cop and gave him her phone number. Maybe we ought to be like Marilyn Manson and get some implants, eh? Cops pull me over to give me one just for the way I look. Yikes.

lets face reality people!! Attractive people have it made!!! Even I can sometimes go Gah Gah and not think straight when I talk to someone extremely hot....thats why its good to have a gf that is extremely hot, yet doesnt realize it (otherwise, why would she be with me!?!??)...but this is rare, and attractive girls usually know they can get away with murder....and always use it to their advantage...whether its in a dental school interview, job interview, school, restaurant...wherever....they will always get the special treatment!!! DAMN THEM!! +pissed+

hopefully they are.
Ive seen some attractive girls during my interviews and wouldnt mind being in the same class.

Kinda funny this came up! Since this board is anonymous, I don't feel superficial saying this: at nearly every interview I was at everyone would ask eachother's stats. When I would say my average DAT score and slightly above average GPAs all the guys said that I was probably in anyway because I was good looking. I was really bothered by that at first because I feel I AM on a competitive level without looks, but you can't change what people think. So if that means looks giving one person an edge over another, then OH WELL!! I'm not on the adcom and can't sway them one way or another. I just think it is unfortuante if it really does go on. I was just surprised how much it came up.

why are some of you peole surprised by this?

it is terrible and indeed sad, but its only the human nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
vishal look by he SDN icon at the top of the page. there is a panel of links on the right hand side. click on user CP

Admitting students based on appearance is highly unprofessional and I seriously doubt that it occurs in the process of dental school admissions. However, I do believe that women have a
competitive advantage for two reasons:

(1) Women remain underrepresented in dental education and practice. Although matriculant statistics accurately reflect applicant statistics (ie, fewer women than men are applying to
dental school), it's reasonable to suspect that dental schools are eager to catch up with medical counterparts in this respect, pushing toward an even M/F balance in their future classes.

(2) The traits that are inherent to women - owing to firmly established biological and social roles (eg, caregiver) - are fundamentally desirable in a health care professional. Women are pretty and have softer voices and smaller hands. Such attributes would seem to promote a more comfortable atmosphere in which to receive dental treatment. This seems particularly relevant in light of the "Dental Fear" that has persisted, for the most part unabated, among the public for so many years.

I will also venture to contribute that I don't think this situation is "sad" as some of you have commented.

Sam Spade

hey Predentchick....what school are you going to??? :cool:

Hmmm... there's also the issue of whether we're talking about people the adcoms find pretty/handsome or people they find HOT & SEXY. The two aren't always the same thing!! If you were on an adcom and encountered someone so hot you could barely suppress being obviously aroused, and you knew you had to be their professor for the next 4 yrs and see them every day, might the inclination be NOT to admit that person, in order to minimize the distraction/temptation??

Of course, this ASSUMES: either you are happily involved with a significant other already and don't want to jeopardize your relationship, OR that you have ethics of steel.

:D

Just a thought...

Originally posted by trypmo
Hmmm... there's also the issue of whether we're talking about people the adcoms find pretty/handsome or people they find HOT & SEXY. The two aren't always the same thing!! If you were on an adcom and encountered someone so hot you could barely suppress being obviously aroused, and you knew you had to be their professor for the next 4 yrs and see them every day, might the inclination be NOT to admit that person, in order to minimize the distraction/temptation??

Of course, this ASSUMES: either you are happily involved with a significant other already and don't want to jeopardize your relationship, OR that you have ethics of steel.

Just a thought...

You MUST be married.

Sam, you forget there is a stigma that a woman doctor coming from the same school still isn't as good as the male doctor. What do you think about that stigma? I don't think having smaller hands, quiet voice, and pleasing on the eyes, will abate dentist phobia. If that's the case, I guess I'll be working for you.

Originally posted by preludexl
You MUST be married.
Ya got me!! :laugh: :laugh: How ever did you guess? :D

But surely there are some married ppl on adcoms, right?...

But really how significant is this factor or pretty faces???:rolleyes:

true... i have a female friend who is less qualified than another friend who is a male and got in dental school. maybe it was her personality or i thought she dressed a little inappropiate. i guess it was like basic instinct.... anyways she got in.....

Originally posted by preludexl

I'm not so sure a pretty face will get you in. A great personality and confidence is equally if not more important in my view.

I doubt a pretty face will get you in (you need to have decent stats as well). But if you have a pretty face and similar stats to another person without the pretty face my money goes to the person, male OR female, with the pretty face.

Also, I would associate more confidence, better self image, etc. with the better looking person, although that is not always the case. And like you said those qualities are also very important.

Can't be entirely true...I'm pretty fugly myself.

Basing admissions on a person's looks is pathetic. I hope the Ad-Coms are not as superficial as we seem to think they are.

"Remember the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless; peacocks and lilies, for instance." John Ruskin

I'd still rather be a guy. It's just so much better :clap:

Not exactly. It is quite reasonable to have good-looking people. Patients would like to see pretty faces too. It is human nature. Luckily, doctors are also known for their knowledge not just appearance. Show them your brain :idea:

so should i get plastic surgery? :rolleyes:

Ask MJ, he's got a great surgeon.+pity+

male vs female
pretty vs ugly
tall vs short
white vs black
glasses vs contacts
chic dresser vs cheap dresser
coast accent vs southern accent

This list can go on.

On the opposite end of the spectum, if you are a really hot "Denise Richards" looking girl, you may have a disadvantage if your interviewer is a woman!

What I have wonder is why some schools ask for pictures of their applicants? If looks did not play a role then why do they want a picture of you?

Originally posted by Thaxil
What I have wonder is why some schools ask for pictures of their applicants? If looks did not play a role then why do they want a picture of you?
It tends to help the interviewers attach a face to the list of AADSAS statistics. It isn't really for anything more than identification purposes, and the idea of pre-emptive decisions based on appearances is a stretch. All it would take is one applicant able to demonstrate it, and they could sue the school into bankruptcy.

..... donno about "pretty" guys.
But what about cool guys? Or should i say cute guys?

ya, facial recognition is a lot better than paper recognition.
So, if they hold a picture of you, they are likely to remember who you are in the adcom, which i think is a plus.

Originally posted by ecdoesit
..... donno about "pretty" guys.
But what about cool guys? Or should i say cute guys?

ya, facial recognition is a lot better than paper recognition.
So, if they hold a picture of you, they are likely to remember who you are in the adcom, which i think is a plus.

I would call "Handsome" or "Smart" to guys!:laugh:

Did someone mention pretty girls?

Where the hell are the pics?!?!?!?!?!?!

Some people find attractive, smart and confident females to be quite intimidating. Especially ones that are 5'10".

Backwards, traditional men on admissions committees seem to be quite afraid of these women. Of course, these are men that say "dentistry is a good field for women too because it allows them to have the flexibility to balance having a husband, having a family and having a career."

Sorry, but I had a really bad interview experience.

Originally posted by arns51
I doubt a pretty face will get you in

......yeah you need a hot body too! ;)

if i was part of the admissions committee and was interviewing a pretty girl, i would definitely pay more attention to her. i would most likely accept her, isn't that how things these days.

This thread all the sudden has a reality show ring to it.:D

"Bachelorette: Admission to dental school":laugh:

Originally posted by blankguy
This thread all the sudden has a reality show ring to it.:D

"Bachelorette: Admission to dental school":laugh:
ARRRGH! LOL :laugh:

i hope Buffalo accepts some pretty girls this year. Being good looking gets you more then you think. At 2 out of 3 interviews i was told im handsome by the interviewers.

Originally posted by xkurkox
i hope Buffalo accepts some pretty girls this year. Being good looking gets you more then you think. At 2 out of 3 interviews i was told im handsome by the interviewers.

Maybe you should be a model.;)

I wouldn?t give up dental school on what 80 year old professors think is good looking. Although Ive given it a thought :laugh:

From what I know usually good looking people are favoured for most job interviews if for example there is a decision to be made and the skill level of the candidates are similar or near equal. I'm not sure about dental school though I have seen the class composite of the University of Toronto dental school and there aren't anyone you would call ugly and there are a lot of attractive people. They might not be what you call "Hot" but they are mostly attractive. Definitely better than the average looking person. So if you have good stats and fortunate to have good looks, it is a sad truth but given that you have an advantage, now that all depends on your personality and how you use your advantages. However, on the flip side of the coin, even if you aren't that good looking, if you dress professionally, kept yourself well groomed, have good stats, and present yourself well, you too will have a good shot. SOmetimes it isn't about how you look naturally but how you dress and present yourself.

I think a previous poster nailed it. Pretty usually comes with confidence, which definately helps.

I agree with Woodsy about dressing well. Even if you don't have handsome or beautiful features, I believe being a sharp dresser really helps.

And for guys...(some of you know this is my pet peeve), please invest in some nice shoes for interviews!! The kind of shoes/condition of shoes you wear with a suit says a lot about who you are!:D

Especially all the Ex-Mormon Missionaries out there.... Trade in those Dr. Martins guys! They may be appropriate with a suit when you are going from door-to-door, but at a dental school interview...BLECK! :laugh:

Originally posted by Aaronpsr
I agree with Woodsy about dressing well. Even if you don't have handsome or beautiful features, I believe being a sharp dresser really helps.

And for guys...(some of you know this is my pet peeve), please invest in some nice shoes for interviews!! The kind of shoes/condition of shoes you wear with a suit says a lot about who you are!:D

Especially all the Ex-Mormon Missionaries out there.... Trade in those Dr. Martins guys! They may be appropriate with a suit when you are going from door-to-door, but at a dental school interview...BLECK! :laugh:

Good post aaron and woodsy :)

Shoes? I care nothing for shoes. I do not remember the last time anyone has looked at my shoes. Yes, I wore dressy shoes to my interviews. I bought them at shoes-for-less; 9 buck. Yeah, tennis shoes would stick out like a sore thumb.

no question about it, looks help. many studies have shown that even more attractive children are perceived as "smarter" and "nicer". i think the tall, handsome guy has the better shot over the pretty woman, assuming equal stats.