Pretty tough physics questions...please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpaul14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Didn't know how to solve these, wondering if you guys could help.

1) Find the total electric charge of 1.5 kg of (a) electrons and (b) protons

2) A point charge q = -0.35 nC is fixed at the origin. Where must a proton be placed in order for the electric force acting on it to be exactly opposite to its weight? (y axis is vertical and x axis is horizontal)

3) A 5.0 uC charge experiences a 0.44 N force in the positive y direction. If this charge is replaced with a -2.7 uC charge, what fore will it experience?

Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

1) Find the total electric charge of 1.5 kg of (a) electrons and (b) protons

just take 1.5/ (molecular mass of electron or proton)= number of electrons or protons * the charge on each= total electric charge

http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/Charge.html

this will give you information regarding weights nad charges

2)dont understand ur wording

3) A 5.0 uC charge experiences a 0.44 N force in the positive y direction. If this charge is replaced with a -2.7 uC charge, what fore will it experience?

F= (k)(Q1)(Q2)/R^2= .44 N

Or F = qE=.44

I would use number 2 if it is permited ... so .44/5 uC (remember units here) =E

after you find E multiply it by -2.7 uC charge

I suggest first drawing a Cartesian plane and placing ur vectors of the force and charge

Remember negative force is attraction, while positive force is repulsion..so with a 5 uC charge you know the other charge is positive since u have positive force

also remember if your dealing with kg ..divide by kg of weight for electrons not grams

So, for #1 I would do:

(1.5/9.11x10^-31)(1.6x10^-19) and this would be my answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
nope you forgot the negative sign because electrons carry negative charge, but otherwise that is correct