Previous pharmacy techs will have an advantage in Pharmacology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDtoB

Accepted!!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to enter Pharmacy school this fall, and see that I will be taking Pharmacology the first yr. I was wondering if those students that have been working as techs for a couple of years will have it easier in this class? I was thinking about getting familiar with the top 200 drugs this summer before classes start?

Members don't see this ad.

No since pharmacology is a different breast. If you have some free time, then sure try to learn the top 200 drugs.

No since pharmacology is a different breast. If you have some free time, then sure try to learn the top 200 drugs.
I found that knowing drug names and classes ahead of time was beneficial. Not the difference between an A and a B, but it definitely decreased my stress level.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were taking a class on adjudicating insurance claims then i'd say working as a tech would give you a leg up....but p-col? I doubt it. Maybe at your school though...i'm not sure.

Not at all, techs don't deal with any pharmacology, whatsoever. They'd be familiar with drug names and maybe even indication, but aside from furosemide being a "water pill" they're in the dark regarding pcology.

I found that knowing drug names and classes ahead of time was beneficial. Not the difference between an A and a B, but it definitely decreased my stress level.

I agree about it helping to know the drug names and the general class they belong to. So, I guess those who have been technicians for a long time would probably already know that sort of thing and have a slight advantage.

Don't spend too much of your summer studying though. School is tough and you need to enjoy yourself before you get started! :)

It's a slight advantage. You know the lingo, you know the strengths they come in, you know the dosage forms.... Unless you have been reading the package inserts you will only be marginally more informed than your peers...

Not at all, techs don't deal with any pharmacology, whatsoever. They'd be familiar with drug names and maybe even indication, but aside from furosemide being a "water pill" they're in the dark regarding pcology.

Requiem:

That's an awfully presumptuous statement. I worked as a technician for several years prior to pharmacy school, and I was familiar with the name, class, indication, and side effects of many drugs. For the most frequently dispensed products, I was also aware of contraindications and dosing guidelines. While it's true that a technician need not possess knowledge of pharmacology, you shouldn't assume that they're all "in the dark." The information, after all, is easily accessible; it's merely a question of the individual's interest and motivation.

I know many pharmacists who, once, were just technicians. One of your current techs may well be one of your future colleagues.

Now, in regard to the original post, I agree with others who have stated that any advantage of your experience will likely prove minimal. It really depends upon your individual efforts, though; if you've researched information beyond what you learned on-the-job, you might find yourself better prepared than your peers.

Requiem:

That's an awfully presumptuous statement. I worked as a technician for several years prior to pharmacy school, and I was familiar with the name, class, indication, and side effects of many drugs. For the most frequently dispensed products, I was also aware of contraindications and dosing guidelines. While it's true that a technician need not possess knowledge of pharmacology, you shouldn't assume that they're all "in the dark." The information, after all, is easily accessible; it's merely a question of the individual's interest and motivation.

I know many pharmacists who, once, were just technicians. One of your current techs may well be one of your future colleagues.

Now, in regard to the original post, I agree with others who have stated that any advantage of your experience will likely prove minimal. It really depends upon your individual efforts, though; if you've researched information beyond what you learned on-the-job, you might find yourself better prepared than your peers.

Reread my post. I said "In the dark, _regarding pharmacology_". How can that not be more clear. I didn't say they're in the dark regarding drugs.

Also, you said "Just" techs; not I. A good tech is invaluable. However, I certainly wouldn't refer anyone to a tech for pharmacology info.

Reread my post. I said "In the dark, _regarding pharmacology_". How can that not be more clear. I didn't say they're in the dark regarding drugs.

Also, you said "Just" techs; not I. A good tech is invaluable. However, I certainly wouldn't refer anyone to a tech for pharmacology info.

What he said. Techs know drug classes, maybe a basic mechanism or two; but I dare you to ask a technician why you give epinephrine for an anaphylactic reaction.

What he said. Techs know drug classes, maybe a basic mechanism or two; but I dare you to ask a technician why you give epinephrine for an anaphylactic reaction.

Or ask them what a g-protein or cAMP is....most techs just don't care to know about p-col either (from my experience).

it's really subjective....it deepends on what the tech is up to......I was a tech for years and a biochem major..so I could tell u a thing or two......by the time I graduated...I integrated the two to understand basic pharmacological concepts...
Everybody is not the same.......and u could really argue that some pharmacists are in the dark too...it's all about zeal and interest....

It may not help you going into pharmacology, but remaining a tech throughout pharmacy school should prove to be helpful. At least that is what I have experienced.

There's a 10 year tech that I know who came here from China in his late 20's. He spent quite a bit of time going over the books that pharmacy interns would sell him after their semesters were over. Every pharmacist that has worked with him have said "He knows pretty much everything there is to know, even things that I've forgotten or never learned. I don't know why he doesn't do some pre-reqs and attend pharmacy school."

This was several years ago. He's going into pharmacy school next semester. I'm sure he'll coast through those courses.

Just a little story I had to tell.