Prgms opting out of ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkIvy08

Lady Boss
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a quick question. I was looking around online and noticed a significant number of Gen Surg residency programs no longer participating in ERAS. I wanted to pick your brains about this recent trend. Just curious what's going on in our training...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the ERAS, there are around 20 greyed out programs which means so far, they arent participating in the match. Some have replied to my email query saying its a misunderstanding and will be cleared soon. Its difficult to opt out of the match cause then they wont get the right residents for them

Hey PinkIvy. I know exactly what you're talking about and was/still am confused. Many of the programs on ERAS were greyed out and you were not allowed to click on them to select them as potential programs to apply to. However, take another look at it now. I guess programs updated their detailed information on ERAS and you can select them now. For example, Stanford was initially grey, but now you can click on it. Conversely, USC (California) is still grey as of the time of this post. Not sure what the deal is.

Hey PinkIvy. I know exactly what you're talking about and was/still am confused. Many of the programs on ERAS were greyed out and you were not allowed to click on them to select them as potential programs to apply to. However, take another look at it now. I guess programs updated their detailed information on ERAS and you can select them now. For example, Stanford was initially grey, but now you can click on it. Conversely, USC (California) is still grey as of the time of this post. Not sure what the deal is.

Bases on what you are describing, but not being able to actually look at ERAS myself...

I would guess this is just an issue of programs not having updated their information on ERAS yet, not that they are "opting out" of the match.

As detailed in the example above, I am sure that Stanford and USC are not opting out of ERAS.

I'd guess this all gets sorted out by Sep 15...some program coordinators are more on the ball than others.

Agreed. I'll try to give an update once September 15th rolls around.

Update: Programs participating have 'un-greyed' their links and you can now select them. Good luck!