Price vs Prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fijj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: I did not follow the template. But here you go:

Netter:
+ : cost
- : prestige

MCW:
+ : prestige
- : cost

Alright, I am accepted at two MD schools.

Love both of them, the environment is just right. I would honestly be happy both places. Both have the same sticker price. But MCW has a better rank. The more prestigous has better research connections and match very well. Its an important consideration.

But cost is important. As someone who is low SES and rural, Netter potentially offers plenty of grants for me, lowering the tuition to more than half the other school. I'd probably save 60K over my med school career going to Netter.

I am unsure what profession I want to be.

Which should i choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are considerations for family etc. Maybe if you share the school names it would be easier to chime in. Honestly at that level 60-120 I dont know if prestige matters. Curriculum, location, family closeness, clinical rotation strength etc come into play.

There are considerations for family etc. Maybe if you share the school names it would be easier to chime in. Honestly at that level 60-120 I dont know if prestige matters. Curriculum, location, family closeness, clinical rotation strength etc come into play.

Netter vs MCW.
Sorry even with being anonymous I'm still paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't weigh prestige at this level of comparison - I don't think that is really relevant until top 20 or so.

Some truth to this but MCW is an established school vs. Netter's which hasn't graduated a single class yet (?). For that reason I would pick MCW although I'd like to know the actual (not theoretical) cost difference between the two.

Last edited:
I wouldn't weigh prestige at this level of comparison - I don't think that is really relevant until top 20 or so.

You need to weigh to consider which has the most impact on your future. If you attend the prestige school you have to take into account the pro's and cons of that school, similar to the less prestige school. But one thing is for sure is that the outcome will most likely be similar.

Suspicious, don't you go to MCW? :D

And thank you, I hope more people give me an opinion about this.
Idk anything about netter but MCW is amazing. And I'm a senior in college :)

But hey, saving money is a big one. You should go to the second look days and talk to your family too!

Did you already look at Netter's match? It should stave away the fears of giving up your chance at competitive specialties at well-established programs just by attending a new program.

Did you already look at Netter's match? It should stave away the fears of giving up your chance at competitive specialties at well-established programs just by attending a new program.

That definitely pushed towards the Netter direction. I'll have to see the actual aid reduction I get, as it is much much pricier to live in connecticut than Wisconsin.

One problem is that MCW has good research opportunities, while Netter really doesn't. But I can do research at Yale if I have the ability to.

Reactions: 1 user