Primary Apps 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKingofClay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would submitting primary apps around the end of June be considered slightly early?

I know ideally most people would like to send their apps right when it opens, but my MCAT* scores wont be in until the 6/21 (tentatively). So hopefully once it arrives on the 21st I will submit within the next day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would submitting primary apps around the end of June be considered slightly early?

I know ideally most people would like to send their apps right when it opens, but my scores wont be in until the 6/21 (tentatively). So hopefully once it arrives on the 21st I will submit within the next day.

You'll be fine if your scores don't reach your AMCAS 2012 app until the 21st. However, make sure you have all of your other ducks in a row. It can take weeks to months to ensure that all your letters and transcripts have been sent to AMCAS, and sometimes you have to request that things get resent. If everything is ready, once the scores are loaded you'll be ready for verification.

Remember, AMCAS doesn't even transmit applications to the schools until 6/25. Assuming all supporting documents are ready, the only difference between submitting 6/1 and 6/21 is in verification time (hours vs. days leading into weeks).

I know ideally most people would like to send their apps right when it opens, but my scores wont be in until the 6/21 (tentatively). So hopefully once it arrives on the 21st I will submit within the next day.

I assume by scores you mean MCAT? You don't need your MCAT score to submit.

If, however, by scores, you mean your transcript, then you can still submit, but they will not begin verification until your transcripts come in.

Basic rule is....submit as soon as you can:) You will not be late by real world standards, only by SDN standards:rolleyes: However, at the end of June, it will likely take you 2-3 weeks to get verified. check the AMCAS verification thread from this year for more exact times if you are really that concerned about it.

If you are verified, what Dianyla said is correct; as long as you are verified before 6/25, you are as early as it gets:)

Only worry about being super early if your app is weak. If you're a stellar applicant, I wouldn't stress so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could look at last year's thread, but IIRC submitting the 21st has a verification time of around 3 weeks, so you'll still be very early. Many secondaries don't even come out until later in July or August. If you're waiting on verification you can pre-write secondaries.

Another thing you can do is submit around the 10th to one school. Your AMCAS will be verified at around the same time as you get your MCAT. You can then decide if you want to send your app to more schools. It will only take another 1-2 days for each school to receive your primary.

You could look at last year's thread, but IIRC submitting the 21st has a verification time of around 3 weeks, so you'll still be very early. Many secondaries don't even come out until later in July or August. If you're waiting on verification you can pre-write secondaries.
I submitted in late June last year (waiting for Spring quarter system grades) and it took about a week. But, with every passing day, the queue for verification time gets longer and longer.

Wanderer100 is absolutely right about most schools not even doing anything with your application til July, anyway. However, with the weaknesses in my app I felt it was better to be in as soon as I could even if that meant my app was just sitting around for a few weeks.