Primary Care definition

Started by corona 247
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to ask all of you how you would define Primary Care. I am interviewing at a few DO schools in the next few weeks, and heard that this was a typical ques. asked.

I know what the fields of primary are ( family, ob/gun, internal, psy) but not really what makes them Primary.

Thanks for your help!
 
As I understand it, FP, IM, and peds are primary care fields because patients see them first. If the illness is really bad, then the primary care physician can refer them to a specialist and that would be secondary care.
 
They primary care fields are IM, FP, Peds, Ob/Gyn and sometimes Psych is considered PC for certain types of scholarships(NHSC, ect..) but it really is not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.