Primary Care Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hilseb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone suggested Primary Care Loans as an alternative to going for the National Health Service Corps.

Has anyone received a primary care loan? What are the advantages, compared to a regular grad plus loan? The person who suggested it said you could practice anywhere, as opposed to NHSC, which requires you have to practice at an approved clinic. There seems to be a decent amount of options for NHSC clinics, but I am afraid when I need to get placed, I won't like the selection, or would be competing for a slot with too many other people. But, full scholarships with a stipend in advance or full loan repayment (the option I am leaning toward in case it doesn't work out) are both so tempting. Can I do the NHSC loan repayment if I get primary care loans?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone suggested Primary Care Loans as an alternative to going for the National Health Service Corps.

PCL is simply a low-interest (5% APR) student loan program for students who are committed to primary care. I think the interest rate on a Stafford loan is 6.8%, so it's better than that. You still have to pay it back, however, like any other student loan. The NHSC is actually loan forgiveness in exchange for a term of employment (usually four years) at one of their sites.

Thanks!

I am definitely interested in primary care loans, then. And, if I understand correctly, NHSC has two branches. One is the scholarship during med school, and one is reimbursement afterwards. I think if I was still interested, I could apply for reimbursement no matter what, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

I am definitely interested in primary care loans, then. And, if I understand correctly, NHSC has two branches. One is the scholarship during med school, and one is reimbursement afterwards. I think if I was still interested, I could apply for reimbursement no matter what, right?

Right, a much safer option I might add. Plus the scholarship is rediculously competitive and all up to chance, not merit or need.

Yeah, the thread on here about it is frightful, with the weird inflexible interview, etc. And, I don't think I could convincingly say I would be OK with moving to Guam.