Primary care or other choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you want to do after medical school

• Specialize

Votes: 51 65.4%
  • Primary Care

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Academic Medicine

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's see what the pre-DO forum people want to do after med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting post.

As of right now i have not fully decided. I think that I would like to do Cardiology or Radiology. If I do not do either of these two, I would probably go into primary care. Fortunately, I have lots of time to think about it.

;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in med/peds but I am sure I wanted to specialize in something like oncology.

Then again, after working so long in EMS I really am interested in EM also.

One thing I know I won't do...OB/GYN!

Top choice is now (and has always been) peds, but.....that doesn't mean I couldn't be swayed by something incredibly interesting!! I have moments of "wow! Public health sounds cool." I've been teaching for about 5 years now and the concept of combining medicine and teaching is appealing in all it's forms.

Willow~

I'm thinking dermatology, BUT family practice also seems great. Maybe even psychiatry.

I've heard that med students change their minds all the time after rotations n' stuff.

Great question! :thumbup:

DrImCute,

I was thinking Dermatology also but I know it's really competitive :p I know I want to specialize I just have no frickin clue what now since I've worked in Peds, urology and internal med already.

Hopefully rotations will help!

-Richie

Yikes, these are not the results I expected. I actually did this because they have the same post in the pre-MD section. I figured we would have more primary care wanna-bes. I guess I sterotyped the pre-DO students into thinking more of us want to go into primary care. I can see why there seems to be less and less primary care docs especially in rural areas.

Interesting results, though. If you would like to compare our pre-DO poll verses the pre-MD poll here is that link.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=117763

I'm thinking about fp but to be honest I'm concerned about my future job security due to mid levels or possibly overcrowding. Yeah I know I shouldn't be giving in to all the reactionaries but I can't help it.
The salary isn't that big of deal to me. Even with 120K I'll be able to pay my student loans and live comfortably. And my main alternative to fp right now is pm&r so it's not like I would majorly cash in by not going fp.
Thats all premed talk though, come 3rd year I could be hard core optho or something :laugh:

I'm 99.5% that I want to do primary care; that is why I only applied to DO schools--the primary care focus! Right now, I'm leaning towards FP, but IM may be in my future . . . (I'll tell you after I start rotations)

:)

Is Emergency Medicine considered primary care or specialized? :confused: