Primary care track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kafa11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does attending a PC track vs Categorical at a top tier institution effect your chances at landing a quality fellowship (other than GI and Cards)? if so how much?

I have combed through all of the recent threads discussing this topic and have not clarified my question. Also, I cannot seem to find anything other than conjecture. The PC track websites don't seem to post match lists for their graduates. Any insight would be really helpful. I want to rank a PC track first over a cat at the same institution; but I am also entertaining heme/onc, ID and rheum as possible career options. I don't want to find myself stuck or limited to less reputable institutions for fellowship.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does attending a PC track vs Categorical at a top tier institution effect your chances at landing a quality fellowship (other than GI and Cards)? if so how much?

I have combed through all of the recent threads discussing this topic and have not clarified my question. Also, I cannot seem to find anything other than conjecture. The PC track websites don't seem to post match lists for their graduates. Any insight would be really helpful. I want to rank a PC track first over a cat at the same institution; but I am also entertaining heme/onc, ID and rheum as possible career options. I don't want to find myself stuck or limited to less reputable institutions for fellowship.

Thanks!

Doesn't matter.

Also had a similar question. If you really want a program and they have a few spots for PC track should we rank both categorical and primary care track?
Not sure yet if I will do a fellowship...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also had a similar question. If you really want a program and they have a few spots for PC track should we rank both categorical and primary care track?
Not sure yet if I will do a fellowship...

So I'm a categorical and PC track applicant this year and from my interaction with PC track PDs, the PDs at most places seem like they wouldn't be happy if you did a fellowship or even pursued hospitalist work. The feeling I got from some was that they wouldn't be supportive of your fellowship app. So keep that in mind because that may make it harder to get a fellowship if you do decide to do a PC track.

agreed. top PC programs want people going into primary care now, which is a change from five years ago. some of the other newer programs though are more supportive of someone interested in fellowship

Just talk to the residents to find out if people in the past have gone into fellowships and whether or not they had trouble. Most primary care track directors don't care if you go into a fellowship, but obviously there may be bad apples out there.

Thanks!

At JHU I was told that I would be considered a failure in their eyes if I decide to do fellowship after PC track. MGH, BWH, Penn, and Yale are OK going to fellowship after PC.