Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ehhh...there is a forum or thread about the scholarship and some people really complained about the jobs that they received post residency. It seems that it is better to try to find your own clinic and get it to qualify for their loan repayment vs taking the scholarship. This was just the opinion in that thread so more research is probably warrented.

Hmm ... that's really good to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Ehhh...there is a forum or thread about the scholarship and some people really complained about the jobs that they received post residency. It seems that it is better to try to find your own clinic and get it to qualify for their loan repayment vs taking the scholarship. This was just the opinion in that thread so more research is probably warrented.

An even better option, but one that you would not have heard about as a pre-med is that there are small hospitals and riral clinics that are willing to pay you well, even in residency, if you agree to work for them for a few years afterward. I know one guy who got an extra 3,500 a month during his second year of residency and 5,000 a year his third year of residency-- as long as he agrees to work for them for at least three years afterwards in their little 40 bed hospital in Podunck, MS. These small places can afford to do this because they get gazillions in federal and state funds jsut to keep their doors open. Once you have passed step III of the boards you will find yourslef geting offers from all over. Limiting yourself by taking a scholarship ahead of time might not be the best deal financially.

An even better option, but one that you would not have heard about as a pre-med is that there are small hospitals and riral clinics that are willing to pay you well, even in residency, if you agree to work for them for a few years afterward. I know one guy who got an extra 3,500 a month during his second year of residency and 5,000 a year his third year of residency-- as long as he agrees to work for them for at least three years afterwards in their little 40 bed hospital in Podunck, MS. These small places can afford to do this because they get gazillions in federal and state funds jsut to keep their doors open. Once you have passed step III of the boards you will find yourslef geting offers from all over. Limiting yourself by taking a scholarship ahead of time might not be the best deal financially.

Good info scpod, all I've gotten from the rural FP boards is "there are other options". Yet the only thing one can find as a pre-med are a lot of the state/federal grants.
Paying for med-school is one of the few things where it makes sense to "put the horse in front of the carriage", not to mention some interviewers like to ask how we plan on paying for med school.

I'm curious is this guy in residency in the same hospital that gave him this offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious is this guy in residency in the same hospital that gave him this offer?

No. He's in a residency in a more rural area, but it's an 800 bed hospital. It's not unusual for some small rural hospitals to start "helping" a student monetarily as far back as 3rd or 4th year of medical school. One of the places I interviewed for IM offers "scholarships" to residents who agree to stay on and practice there after residency, though, assuming there is a need. This seems to be more common every day. A lot of residencies are also helping you suplement your income in inovative ways as well.

Good info scpod, all I've gotten from the rural FP boards is "there are other options". Yet the only thing one can find as a pre-med are a lot of the state/federal grants.
Paying for med-school is one of the few things where it makes sense to "put the horse in front of the carriage", not to mention some interviewers like to ask how we plan on paying for med school.

+1 for sharing the info scpod. As for your question MLT, I would imagine that he had the offer at a hospital that has no residencies or other type of training opportunities, although that is only my pre-med opinion. It would seem like places that typically have training opportunities have a slew of candidates that would like to stay there esp if the environment isn't toxic. Places that don't have training there have to 'lure' people into coming b/c you probably know nothing about the situation there--it could be a fabulous work place, not knocking those sites.

Personally, I am very hesitant to accept scholarships due to you never know the future. I am interested mostly in primary care, but every type of physician I have shadowed I've found something I liked there so I don't want to limit myself. Also, I think if you do some research close to the end of residency you can find these opportunities or you can find state programs that let you work anywhere in the state, no a certain site, so you remain a little in control on where you work.

Negativity on SDN?!?! :eek:

I've been waiting to use this...

welcome2sdn.jpg