Primary Screening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdew87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering whether DO schools screen your primary or simply send you a secondary. f any one knows the list of schools that do screen can you plz post.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i was wondering whether DO schools screen your primary or simply send you a secondary. f any one knows the list of schools that do screen can you plz post.
thanks.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf

For each school that you're applying to, check under Supplemental Application, Sent to ________. Or the search function, since this has probably been asked before...

If that involves too much work for you: Western, all the Touros, ATSU-KCOM/SOMA, AZCOM/CCOM, MSUCOM, NYCOM, OUCOM, PNWU-COM, RVUCOM, UNECOM, VCOM, WVSOM. (good thing i'm in a procrastinating mood)

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf

For each school that you're applying to, check under Supplemental Application, Sent to ________. Or the search function, since this has probably been asked before...

If that involves too much work for you: Western, all the Touros, ATSU-KCOM/SOMA, AZCOM/CCOM, MSUCOM, NYCOM, OUCOM, PNWU-COM, RVUCOM, UNECOM, VCOM, WVSOM. (good thing i'm in a procrastinating mood)

NYCOM and WVSOM only send secondaries when they invite you to interview, so those two do screen. Don't really remember the other ones...

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCOM and WVSOM only send secondaries when they invite you to interview, so those two do screen. Don't really remember the other ones...

I think that a lot more schools should do this; it can save an applicant a significant amount of money.

So essentially your saying if you get a secondary from them, you know you have an interview invite? Or, they send them out along with the invite? Either way, does that mean that the secondary wouldn't arrive until late August or September if you submit in May/June?

So essentially your saying if you get a secondary from them, you know you have an interview invite? Or, they send them out along with the invite? Either way, does that mean that the secondary wouldn't arrive until late August or September if you submit in May/June?

Yes, you're correct. However, NYCOM is the latest of all DO schools I believe--more like November.

CB is right on as usual. You receive the secondary with the interview invite for NYCOM in the mail. They tell you to call and schedule the interview and to bring the secondary with you. WVSOM was a little different, they called if I remember correctly, but I don't recall all the details because I chose not to go. NYCOM is definitely by far the latest, I think first week of interviews was first or second week in November this year, and the invited/secondaries came in Octoberish (maybe a little earlier).

So yes, if you receive a secondary, you get an interview.

Yeah, NYCOM started sending out interview invites during October for in-staters and November for out-of-staters I believe. The secondary comes with the invite and they ask you to bring it to the interview with you. The interviews started the first week of November last year.

I think that a lot more schools should do this; it can save an applicant a significant amount of money.

I was under the impression that all schools prescreen their applicants. Does anyone know if LECOM Erie and Bradenton screen their applicants before inviting them to complete a secondary?

WVSOM called me for an interview and also confirmed my email address. On the phone the lady told me she was sending me an email with a link to the secondary app. Pretty painless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that all schools prescreen their applicants. Does anyone know if LECOM Erie and Bradenton screen their applicants before inviting them to complete a secondary?

Many schools do NOT prescreen or use a very minimal pre screening. This way they don't pass up a lot of good applicants. It also maximizes secondary fee income ($70 x 3,000 = ;)).

Yeah, NYCOM started sending out interview invites during October for in-staters and November for out-of-staters I believe. The secondary comes with the invite and they ask you to bring it to the interview with you. The interviews started the first week of November last year.

I wonder if they would show any love to a former LIer who hopes to move back to NY. Even though the cost scares the bejesus out of me, I would love the chance to move back home (LI will always be home!).

No, I don't think they do. As far as I understand it, anyone that applies can do the secondary.

No, I don't think they do. As far as I understand it, anyone that applies can do the secondary.

That's not exactly true either. It depends on the school and their policies; some screen before sending out secondaries, some let everyone fill them out, and some only give you one if you're being interviewed.

Many schools do NOT prescreen or use a very minimal pre screening. This way they don't pass up a lot of good applicants. It also maximizes secondary fee income ($70 x 3,000 = ;)).

I heard at some schools if you get a secondary its almost a guarantee that they will interview you. I heard NYCOM and Western U COM are like this. Is this true?

I heard at some schools if you get a secondary its almost a guarantee that they will interview you. I heard NYCOM and Western U COM are like this. Is this true?

NYCOM: See post #9 above

Western: Yes, the admissions office has repeatedly said that candidates are "thoroughly screened" before being sent a secondary application. :thumbup:

NYCOM: See post #9 above

Western: Yes, the admissions office has repeatedly said that candidates are "thoroughly screened" before being sent a secondary application. :thumbup:

So if Western U sends you a secondary that means there is a pretty good chance they will interview you? Generally speaking how soon after getting the secondary should you send it in? I heard some schools get annoyed if you wait a long time, more than four weeks to send it to the adcom.

So if Western U sends you a secondary that means there is a pretty good chance they will interview you? Generally speaking how soon after getting the secondary should you send it in? I heard some schools get annoyed if you wait a long time, more than four weeks to send it to the adcom.

Ya it can be to your disadvantage but it doesn't kill your application. Mine is proof, I received my secondary on 11/24 and didn't submit it until 1/29 and still received an interview. However my initial interview was scheduled really late but I was able to bump it up because someone cancelled.

It's not prudent to wait that long but it's not the end all be all.

I should note that when I sent in my secondary I also included a letter specifically stating why I was applying to Western and what I had learned during the cycle that influenced me to apply there.

1) Some schools have a published deadline for all 2ndaries and that's all you have to go by.
2) Some schools give you your own deadline that is earlier than that ultimate deadline.

Western was the only school from which I got a 2ndary that didn't give that 2nd type of deadline or confirm I was to use the 1st type of deadline, but then had a line in their invitation to complete the 2ndary that said something like my application would be viewed at a disadvantage if it wasn't complete w/in a month. . . so it wasn't a deadline, so much as a really stern suggestion w/ threat of penalty? I wasn't 100% sure how strict it was, and I didn't end up applying.

The one piece of advice I have w/ regard to D.O. schools and timing of 2ndaries is that I would return my 2ndaries in order of my anticipated preference of schools. D.O. schools can make pretty quick decisions to interview someone, and they have very high non-refundable deposits, so if you interview "out of order" of your preference, it can be likely that you'll get admitted in the same order, you could end up paying a deposit at each school until you hear from the last one if it's your favorite. If they take longer than expected to evaluate you pre or post interview, you can't do anything about it...but when you can, I suggest controlling the factors open to you so you don't end up losing ~$2,000+

Last edited:
The one piece of advice I have w/ regard to D.O. schools and timing of 2ndaries is that I would return my 2ndaries in order of my anticipated preference of schools. D.O. schools can make pretty quick decisions to interview someone, and they have very high non-refundable deposits, so if you interview "out of order" of your preference, it can be likely that you'll get admitted in the same order, you could end up paying a deposit at each school until you hear from the last one if it's your favorite. If they take longer than expected to evaluate you pre or post interview, you can't do anything about it...but when you can, I suggest controlling the factors open to you so you don't end up losing ~$2,000+

This is extremely valuable advice for DO schools, and I don't recall previously seeing it on SDN. :thumbup::thumbup:

This is extremely valuable advice for DO schools, and I don't recall previously seeing it on SDN. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank You!
Unfortunately it was lived and (then) learned harshly by my wallet. I was out $2k and almost $3.5k, b/c I didn't know any better...

Luckily, my acceptance to NYCOM came the day I would have to pay KCOM. Unluckily, my acceptance to USC came the day after I mailed my check to NYCOM :(...that was just cruelty.

I *try* to tell myself, it's a good contribution to osteo schools since they don't tend to get the same research $ that help out M.D. schools and at many, students seem to absorb this by paying tuition on the higher end of the spectrum...I try to convince myself it makes me miss my hard-earned $ less :(.