Princeton Review Hyperlearning science workbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj52786

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How useful is this science workbook? It has a ton of passages and questions for all the topics, but is it worth doing them all?

Members don't see this ad.

jj52786 said:
How useful is this science workbook? It has a ton of passages and questions for all the topics, but is it worth doing them all?

it'ss worth it for the practice, it really drills the concepts into your brain, and keeping up with the homework allows you to become accustomed to answerin questions for long periods of time, and recognizing answer traps, question types, etc.

jj52786 said:

The passages in TPR were great in reinforcing the concepts. However, I found most of the science passages in there (this is my opinion) to regurgitate material. I didn't find many passages at all that were comparable to the MCAT--which was more concept based. However, they are great practice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did most of the book and my PS score went from 6 on the diag to 11 on the April '06 test. I would say that I completed about 70%-80% of the book, slacking off pretty hard at the end. Personally I feel that it was beneficial but not necessarily the most efficient way to study. I don't know the most efficient way to study, I am a grinder.

'Rambler

are the discretes worth doing? I know in physics they have blocks of 40-80 discrete questions, I don't know if its worth the time to do all of them.

jj52786 said:
are the discretes worth doing? I know in physics they have blocks of 40-80 discrete questions, I don't know if its worth the time to do all of them.

I recommend doing the questions for whatever sections you have trouble on - for the sections u understand really well, don't bother.

I use it for a surgical strike. For instance, I figured out that I really didn't get radioactivity, I go to the table of contents, work 7-8 passages until I feel strong on it, then move on to other things. When I find another weakness, I review the concepts, then drill it like above, rinse and repeat.

I don't think it's worth it to do the WHOLE thing. It's definitely a good resource though. Also, I found their biology passages to be very helpful because they were close to the MCAT style.

However, there were a lot of questions that I weren't particularly fond of. I'd say I was pretty bad at the biology questions in the science workbook, probably getting anywhere from 50-70% correct. But when I did the AAMC tests, I would get substantially higher scores. I think the reason is that they have their own, strange style that I never got used to.