Princeton vs. Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eg77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm starting to prepare for the aug or sep mcat. Trying to decide between kaplan and TPR. Which course did you guys find better prepares you for the real test? Which one has better verbal prep?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Princeton for sure. I know an instructor of Kaplan who actually took the Princeton review for her MCAT. She says Kap is horrible when comparing resources to that of Princeton. I've taken Princeton myself and I don't have any complaints.

I took kaplan and now am teaching for TPR. I think the two different courses take a very different approach. TPR believes in teaching you absolutely everything while Kaplan assumes you can read the text on your own and provides you with somewhere along the lines of over 12,000 practice ONLINE problems which try to simulate the CBT. Therefore, it's up to you. TPR teaches you while Kaplan makes you very very comfrotable with the test while teaching you via practices.

TPR though does grill all the info into you.

TPR is better in my opinion. For Kaplan if you forget or dont have time to read your hw before class you'll be lost. TPR teaches you the materials in class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I teach TPR so I'm biased but I even before I became a teacher I chose to take TPR. Kaplan has one teacher for all the subjects while TPR teachers specialized. On that basis alone I would say that TPR is better - a person just can't be good at everything.

I took kaplan and now am teaching for TPR. I think the two different courses take a very different approach. TPR believes in teaching you absolutely everything while Kaplan assumes you can read the text on your own and provides you with somewhere along the lines of over 12,000 practice ONLINE problems which try to simulate the CBT. Therefore, it's up to you. TPR teaches you while Kaplan makes you very very comfrotable with the test while teaching you via practices.

TPR though does grill all the info into you.

Excellent points. I was pretty set on TPR but vic's comments above got me thinking. I really am worried about the CBT. I don't mind having the paper format but if TPR gives you all paper based practice questions, it'll be hard to stimulate the exact test.

For you who took TPR recently (since the change in MCAt format to CBT), has TPR adjusted to that? It's just that I don't wanna practice all paper and no computer questions. It seems like a small and minute detail but I need to have pen/pencil pointing to what I'm reading. Any thoughts on this?

I'd say TPR seems like a waste of time...

you've learned the material in your premed classes.. you have the books
read the material on your own!

Kaplan is focused on more problem-solving and less "content" (atleast inclass) because they give you books with everything you need to know. I honestly don't think you need to be re-taught stuff you've already learned.

So, I'd say Kaplan.

I'd say TPR seems like a waste of time...

you've learned the material in your premed classes.. you have the books
read the material on your own!

Kaplan is focused on more problem-solving and less "content" (atleast inclass) because they give you books with everything you need to know. I honestly don't think you need to be re-taught stuff you've already learned.

So, I'd say Kaplan.

I have to disagree with this to a point. For a lot of premeds review is really needed. Especially in Bio. I'd say half of the bio on the test is stuff most people barely ever learned in basic bio. There is a TON of more detailed genetics and physiology on the MCAT, than what people learn in basic bio. So if you never took a bio or physio class then being taught that stuff could be pretty important.

HOWEVER,

the mcat is hardly a test of knowledge...it's much more a test on analytic ability and you can't learn this by hearing a lecturer talk and draw on the board. practice practice practice is KEY and TPR lacks this aspect. Though the big science book is good, it's not as good as what Kaplan gives (ie topicals, subject, section tests).

I'm not saying TPR is bad, im just trying to put things into perspective so whoever is looking makes the right decision.

If you need to learn the info, take TPR and buy lots of practice...if you know most of the info and can learn on your own, use Kaplan and buy some EK.

Any thoughts on the whole CBT problem? Does TPR provide comparable samples to the real MCAT? (that is electronic format and content).

TPR has 5 online tests they provide, as well as 8 AAMC tests. I don't think they're lacking in their CBT area.

If my school has Kaplan, EK and TPR on campus, whose course would you guys recommend I take?

Eh... it really is a case of money for this choice I think. I don't think any of these classes completely cover all of the mcat guidelines which is all of the science you will ever be required to know for the MCAT (http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/start.htm and look for the pdf's). I took Kaplan and I bought the EK books, and the EK books followed the guidelines pretty closely but skipped some parts of the guidelines completely and I felt weren't detailed enough in parts to really help understand some sections. Whatever class you take just make sure that you cover enerything on the guidelines either in class or on your own, and do as many of the AAMC tests as you can (Note when you sign up for Kaplan slasses they buy you access to the AAMC tests so factor that into cost analysis)

Check out the test prep forum! We have representatives from Kaplan and Princeton Review to answer questions about their products. You could win free stuff from them too!! :D

It'll be a very good way to get a feel for the pros and cons of both programs.

It starts tomorrow and lasts through Friday.

It really depends on the teacher. I took TPR and absolutely loved the Physics and Chemistry lectures, liked the Biology lectures somewhat, but hated the Verbal and Organic.

Also, there are not absolutes. TPR is not always better than Kaplan or EK, and vice versa. In some areas, TPR maybe better than Kaplan, while in other areas TPR may suck terribly. You should ask other students in your area that have taken the classes.

I teach for Princeton but took Kaplan when prepping......
I say take Princeton, we cover more (more classes) 9-10 for a subject, where Kaplan just gives 3. We also do passages in class, from the ICC which I wish I had when taking the MCAT (ps I loved my Kaplan teacher though:)

For those of you that took / taking kaplan, how do you access the online passages?

the reason I ask, is that maybe someone can share the Kaplan online questions and trade them for the 5 TPR exams and the 8 AAMC exams provided. This seems great as it'll allow me to take TPR but still get some of Kaplan's questions.

Just a thought and it'll help me with my decison making as the TPR classes start this Wed. 4 nights a week, 2.5 hrs each...that's a killer intense program

Any thoughts on accessing Kaplan question banks?? Is it possible to share the question banks with someone for TPR exams in return?