Printing Costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravelingDoc2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much it costs to print per page in color at your school?

Learned last semester that the fastest and best way I learn is by printing and writing on PPTs. However, this is expensive I went through $150 for printing last semester. This semester looks so much more packed, I really don't want to shell out another $150+.

In my undergrad it was .02 and at my DO school its .10 . I know it seems like nothing compared to that ridiculous tuition bill I will be paying soon but was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

I make that in an hour and a half moonlighting as an attending.... If that's what you need to do to learn the info and pass and become a doctor then print away.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You really have to print everything in color? (Printing is free at TCOM if it's a standard size.)

Last edited:
How much does it cost to print 100 page or so?

The b/w laser printer I bought at home cost me $80. The starter toner usually does 500pgs I buy third party cartridges on sale for $10-12 (I get up to 1,500-1,800 on high yield toner carts). For me they are good enough that I don't see any reason to spend $50 on OEM toner. I buy a ream of 500 pg 20lb paper for $1 on sale at a local Fry's Electronics.

$80+12+1 = $93

That's 4-5 cents per page for b/w for the first 2,000 pages (starter toner + buying one for $12) due to including the cost of the printer but for the next 1,500 it's like <1 cent per page. After 9-10,000 pages the thing that holds the toner cartridge needs to be replaced but I've never had a printer THAT long. At 10,000 pages it's probably cheaper to toss the printer and get a new one.

Unfortunately color laser printers aren't as cheap as I thought. The cheapest 4-5 star ones I can find are $220-260. Color toners cost anywhere from $35-80 (third party) and print 2,200-2,500 pages. I don't think OP will be able to get 500pg ream of 20lb paper for $1 (more like $5-6) unless they live near a Fry's Electronics.

---
How the heck were you paying 2 cents per page? I have never seen that cheap for color printing...

I was wondering how much it costs to print per page in color at your school?

Learned last semester that the fastest and best way I learn is by printing and writing on PPTs. However, this is expensive I went through $150 for printing last semester. This semester looks so much more packed, I really don't want to shell out another $150+.

In my undergrad it was .02 and at my DO school its .10 . I know it seems like nothing compared to that ridiculous tuition bill I will be paying soon but was just wondering.

Damn 0.02 cents, my undergrad charges 0.11. And the bigger kicker is that at my state MD school printing is free!

I feel robbed all right.

A whole slide per page....in colour?
People like you is why my school stopped the free printing we got the 1st 2 semesters :)
Everyone learns differently but you should try to mimic exam conditions i.e. reading off of computer screens & absorbing info
Plus you can take notes on each side in PPT (under the comment section)
You don't want to be lugging 5000 pages around the time of exams

A whole slide per page....in colour?
People like you is why my school stopped the free printing we got the 1st 2 semesters :)
Everyone learns differently but you should try to mimic exam conditions i.e. reading off of computer screens & absorbing info
Plus you can take notes on each side in PPT (under the comment section)
You don't want to be lugging 5000 pages around the time of exams

Typically I print 4 slides per page and in picture heavy classes like histology 6 per slide.

I do fine with exams on computers but the best way I can memorize stuff is from paper and writing. Its getting me A's so I don't think I will stop it. I guess most everyone is in the same boat for printing costs.

Not anymore :( $0.05 a page now for black and white

Dang. There was a problem of people hogging the machines and printing out thousand-page pdfs. I guess the management got tired of chasing them down.

If memory serves me correctly (I usually print at home), it is free for black and white and 10 cents for color here.

The b/w laser printer I bought at home cost me $80. The starter toner usually does 500pgs I buy third party cartridges on sale for $10-12 (I get up to 1,500-1,800 on high yield toner carts). For me they are good enough that I don't see any reason to spend $50 on OEM toner. I buy a ream of 500 pg 20lb paper for $1 on sale at a local Fry's Electronics.

$80+12+1 = $93

That's 4-5 cents per page for b/w for the first 2,000 pages (starter toner + buying one for $12) due to including the cost of the printer but for the next 1,500 it's like <1 cent per page. After 9-10,000 pages the thing that holds the toner cartridge needs to be replaced but I've never had a printer THAT long. At 10,000 pages it's probably cheaper to toss the printer and get a new one.

This is the best option.

I honestly have printed <10 pages second year, but printed, in color, a lot first year (thanks, histo). I bought a $30 non-laser color printer at walmart, printed slides 4-6/page, and it got the job done. Ink refills for the printer cost more the printer itself.