Prior Federal Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

delicatefade

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have 4 years of federal service under my belt and will likely be an Army 4 yr HPSP student. Am I correct in thinking that my federal service would count towards military retirement should I decide to make a career of it?
 
delicatefade said:
I have 4 years of federal service under my belt and will likely be an Army 4 yr HPSP student. Am I correct in thinking that my federal service would count towards military retirement should I decide to make a career of it?

Military service -- yes. Civilian service -- No.

Ed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I think he meant that it only counts if your federal service was military, and not if its civilian in nature. I don't think he meant it does not count for civilian retirement.
 
UCBShocker said:
Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I think he meant that it only counts if your federal service was military, and not if its civilian in nature. I don't think he meant it does not count for civilian retirement.

Correct, you can actually buy your military time into the civilian system (FERS) but no vice versa.

Ed
 
Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....OK....

Sorry. That clears up a lot. I didn't know it didn't work both ways. Plenty of military people buy their time where I work (the VA).