Prior Service and rank post HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know from my previous posts, I was a Maj in the AD USAF before punching out to go to med school courtesy of the USN (Billy Mitchell is rolling in his grave!) My question is this: how long will it take me to reach LCDR once I come back on active duty? Do I have to serve a full ~5 yrs as Lt and meet the boards with everyone else, or do I get to meet an earlier board because of my past experience? I get conflicting answers among various PSD types depending on who I ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

( Note: Millington, DFAS, and the Code OH folks at Bethesda have my USAF dd214 and yes, I was honorably discharged with >12 yrs AD):thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told that you get 1/2 time in rank for time served as a non-physician.

So 2 years as an O-4 before being an MD means you'll be in the zone 1 year earlier as a physician.

Sorry, don't have any reference for that. Just grapevine stuff.

I likewise had about 12 years in before going to medical school and did the HPSP route. I had just made O-4 before I got out. I graduated last May and will be up for the O-4 board this year, in June. Hope that helps some.

Members don't see this ad :)
As some of you may know from my previous posts, I was a Maj in the AD USAF before punching out to go to med school courtesy of the USN (Billy Mitchell is rolling in his grave!) My question is this: how long will it take me to reach LCDR once I come back on active duty? Do I have to serve a full ~5 yrs as Lt and meet the boards with everyone else, or do I get to meet an earlier board because of my past experience? I get conflicting answers among various PSD types depending on who I ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

( Note: Millington, DFAS, and the Code OH folks at Bethesda have my USAF dd214 and yes, I was honorably discharged with >12 yrs AD):thumbup:

You should be up for O4 right at graduation (I think your package should be considered at the May board for whatever year you graduate, otherwise you'll be first in line for the next year). You get 1/2 year of creditable service for every prior year of officer service. I'd recommend starting with the GME detailer [email protected] (LT type) and if he can't help, he should be able to get you to the right person at pers.

4 years SWO, I made O-4 in the FY07 board after 2 years as GMO.

Once you're LT, check your DOR and look at the officer promotion boards section of BUPERS online. I expect you'll make your rank back a little quicker.

You can have non-medical graduate and civilian work count some as well. I believe a masters degree can get you 1yr credible service - but talk to the USN guys; I'm Army and prefer dirt. The rules are set in US Code, but each service interprets it a little differently. So, an MBA, MPH, MA, MS can get you ahead, and PhD possibly as much as 4yrs. But, I am not in control yet. I'm taking lessons from Hugo Chavez, then I will fix everything.

The magic number is 10.

You get 4 years for med school
Divide the commissioned time by 2
Add those numbers together, if it is greater than 10 = LCDR