Prior Service, diagnosed TBI, PTSD is HPSP a possibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burkyb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the issue, I did my time as an enlisted soldier. I suffered from a blast that caused a TBI and was diagnosed with PTSD after I left the army. I was not medically discharged and I am not seeking compensation from the VA. I will be attending dental school in the fall and would like to go back into the Army after graduation. I would like to take the HPSP scholarship but I feel that I will be denied due to my conditions. I no longer need medication or therapy etc. If you have any information that may help me, just post your reply.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the issue, I did my time as an enlisted soldier. I suffered from a blast that caused a TBI and was diagnosed with PTSD after I left the army. I was not medically discharged and I am not seeking compensation from the VA. I will be attending dental school in the fall and would like to go back into the Army after graduation. I would like to take the HPSP scholarship but I feel that I will be denied due to my conditions. I no longer need medication or therapy etc. If you have any information that may help me, just post your reply.

Thanks!
You won't know until you go through MEPs and see what they say. Unless certain items are specifically listed as a "no go" in a policy...they are considered case by case and waivers are granted. Decisions on what is waivered and what is not can vary by year based upon the waiver authority's thoughts and based upon the need of the service that particular year.

If you will be starting school this fall you need to get your packet together ASAP. If you do not get your application in prior to the start of school, you will likely not get the scholarship...even a 3 yr one.

I am prior enlisted, active and reserve. I am starting dental school in the fall also. Am applying for the Navy scholarship, should find out next week if I get it.
On the medical questionnare, it specifically states that you do not have to disclose psychological treatment/counseling for combat related problems, or family counseling that did not involve violence.
Your TBI should not be a problem, if it is as mild as you state. No medical discharge, no rating from the VA should mean no problem.
At this point, if you are starting school in August and have not already contacted a recruiter and got all the paperwork done, I would be worried about all the scholarships getting snagged before you can do so. Being prior service actually makes the process more difficult, since there are more records you must obtain. Either way, if you want a scholarship get the process started now.
Also, look into the Navy HSCP. It is a good deal if you are going to a cheaper school. Time counts towards retirement. Good luck.