Pritzker anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

housemd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they will be going to U Chicago next year or have any thoughts about it compared to Northwestern, Columbia, other more upper tier schools? It seems their match list is unbelievable and the students are very down to earth. I am worried that their curriculum could be a little overwhelming.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Pritzker in the fall. I've just gotten a really good "gut" feeling about everything there. I've even gotten several emails from students after I was accepted offering their support. They all really seem to love it. I haven't seen that at any other of the med schools. Although the curriculum is fairly traditional, they do it on purpose. and what all the students say about how rigorous it is, is that its pass/fail. so even though there's mad material, you have time to pursue other interests and still are super prepared for the boards. I also think the match list is a reflection of how strong the clinical years are. So bottom line, I'm pretty sold and unless I get into the super cheap Mayo clinic ( and even then I'll have to think about it), I'll be in Chicago this summer.

I LOVE u of c! I interviewed there last week and absolutely love everything about the school (minus the time we have to spend in lecture). I really felt like they were the kind of school that is rigorous and "academic," yet will nurture your interest outside the classroom. The stereotype that U of C has all academic medicine people is also misleading at time. My host, for instance, is a published writer, and is doing a PhD in History of Medicine.

They are definitely among my top 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked it too, which is why I ask because I got that gut feeling as well. I just want to make sure that I have a well-rounded 4 years and am not overwhelmed by the material (which i know will happen at most places). I am sure the p/f system helps a lot. Do you think that their non-organ based system and non-block schedule will make things easier or harder? It might be easier in the sense that everything is not cumulative but more difficult in that you always have tests, etc...

thanks for your thoughts guys

I am now a student at Mayo in Rochester, but I applied to U. Chic and really loved it. I was planning on going there until I got in here. Financially I just couldnt turn this offer down. However, I really liked U of C. The school is great, Im sure you would get a great education there. The students seemed really happy and the match list was really good. Plus the city is fantastic. I think you would be really well prepared for your board exams coming out of there. Also, the school is pretty well respected around the midwest.

Thats my two cents.

i have to agree with everyone has said. el chavo already wrote almost exactly what i was thinking. i interviewed at both northwestern and u of c, and pritzker just gave me the best feeling. northwestern had a lot of glitz and nice facilities and u of c felt a bit more gritty (although the facilities are still world-class). but u of c felt like the medical school i had imagined as a kid, with down-to-earth students and faculty. i will probably be at pritzker this fall, but i am just awaiting news from my in-state school because of the financial incentive there. talking to students, there was a lot of class time. but they assured me that "class time" did not mean "mandatory." just like at other schools with less lecture time, you could choose to cover the material exclusively on your own time if you learn better than way.

Is pritzker a top school? I didn't realize that. They certainly didn't look that to me when I visited!

(you've got to ask yourself: is this man bitter because he was rejected?)

To which I respond: hell yeah!