Private loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cad_15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
I was just wondering if any international student (already in medschool) used a private lender to finance his/her education. Who is the lender, and did you need a co-signer??? Any otherinfo would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

just bumping this thread....wondering about the same question. Any international students now using private loan? what is ur interest rate? and which bank?

Members don't see this ad :)
cad_15 said:
hi guys,
I was just wondering if any international student (already in medschool) used a private lender to finance his/her education. Who is the lender, and did you need a co-signer??? Any otherinfo would be appreciated.

I imagine the interest rate will be higher than for US Citizens at the market rate (citiassist health professional loans, 4.25% variable interest currently) because the risk for default is higher in their mind, despite the cosigner. (also, you MUST have a US citizen or permenant resident cosign for the one posted).

You might be better off finding a loan from the country or origin...

ALSO, a lot of med schools require foreign students to deposit four years cost of attendance into an escrow account (200k+) before beginning medical school. I know it is this way at Cornell and P&S). That means that interest rates will be capitalized and added to the principle much sooner.

I know non-us citizens/permenant residents are not eligible for US loans, but you might have trouble getting institutional money to, if it has stipulations on it.

All in all, it sucks!

JH

If you are Canadian, try doing a search for Royalbank line of credit for professional students. I walked into the bank to get info, but I believe the info package is also online.