private practice in north jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any information about the private practices in NJ?

St. Barnabas in Livingston
Englewood Hospital
Hackensack Medical Center
Holy Name
Others?

Members don't see this ad.

hackensack, i hear, has a tiered partner system, with superpartners taking a lareger share for less work

st barnabas is/has gotten taken over by NAPA (an AMC) there's a post on here about that if you do a search

N Jersey is tough....the sense I get is a lot of people are not going to give you a straightforward partnership track

if i'm wrong, please fill me in...

Members don't see this ad :)
In so far as the NJ opportunities posted, I can only comment specifically on Hackensack. Generally speaking, there is a distinct division between northern and southern NJ. In north Jersey, it is an all MD model almost exclusively; whereas in south NJ it is an ACT model almost exclusively. Has to do with compensation, insurance, whatever. Roughly speaking, most of south jersey is a suburb of Philadelphia and most of north jersey is really a suburb of NY. At "the Hack" as it is referred to, you'll work your *** off. They have residents, though. No CRNAs, long days, decent call schedule though. There is a LONG partnership track with a tiered partnership where, once you make partner, there are various levels of "partner". Ridiculous. They have a tendency to work you like a dog for 3 years and then give you the ol' "sorry, you're not a good 'fit' with our group" routine. This philosophy is rampant in northern NJ - one must be very, very careful approaching these groups. Take a peek at gaswork.com and you'll see a multitude of job postings in north jersey, some of which have been there for years. There's a reason for that.

Agree with mil 100%. I looked at North Jersey and was so turned off that I just abandoned my search there. I ended up going upstate NY which is a different world. If you need to be near NYC, look at Long Island, but be weary of NAPA - similar practices. North of NYC in Westchester/Orange Counties is also better. If you have to be in NJ for whatever reason, your best bet is central NJ/Jersey shore, but you are farther away from NYC.

The farther away you are from NYC, the better the market and group atmosphere. NYC area has such a large supply of people willing to work there (both MD's and CRNA's), so they tend to treat their employees worse, and they can get away with it.

thanks you for the replies. any other experiences out there?

the prospect of looking for a job in a couple of years is really turning me off - it sounds like most practices are there to f%ck you as the junior guy...

i don't mind working hard and taking the difficult cases and being there in the pinch when the seniors need coverage, but i would like to know that after x number of years i would be guaranteed something for that effort.

It's just business...and in our specialty where we are so interchangeable...it's EVEN MORE just about the business.

There are different business models...valuing different things.

And some...business arrangements is totally predicated on the fact there will be new guys to screw..

That's just the way it is.

I am an attending a St. Barnabas for 12 years. I like working here, although I am the most junior of the senior guys. I am not involved with the contracts for the new hires, but I think that compensation is comparable to other places around. Some people think they are getting screwed, but they are still making 800 +. Not too bad a screwing. You basically get paid a unit value, and your paycheck as a partner directly reflects the units you generate. Virtually everyone who goes through the partnership track is made partner. Not perfect, but much more equal then other places.

I am an attending a St. Barnabas for 12 years. I like working here, although I am the most junior of the senior guys. I am not involved with the contracts for the new hires, but I think that compensation is comparable to other places around. Some people think they are getting screwed, but they are still making 800 +. Not too bad a screwing. You basically get paid a unit value, and your paycheck as a partner directly reflects the units you generate. Virtually everyone who goes through the partnership track is made partner. Not perfect, but much more equal then other places.

I always called it a "blended unit"....sounds fair.

How many dollars per unit are you getting paid?

and who gets to make out the OR schedule...ie decide who gets the higher "units" rooms.

And most importantly...who does the billing and handles the accounting.

Fair questions Mil,
I think I would have my balls handed to me if I posted our unit value on the this forum. And actually any things affect the unit value, such as how many units you get credit for, and what is taken off the top as expenses. No credit for modifiers or lines, but full base and time. All told, 66 k in deferred (retirement) dollars, more expensive health insurance. Part of the group owns the billing and management company that does the billing and management for the whole group. Honestly I don't get overly involved with that aspect of the practice. I run the residency program, and it is consuming.

Fair questions Mil,
I think I would have my balls handed to me if I posted our unit value on the this forum. And actually any things affect the unit value, such as how many units you get credit for, and what is taken off the top as expenses. No credit for modifiers or lines, but full base and time. All told, 66 k in deferred (retirement) dollars, more expensive health insurance. Part of the group owns the billing and management company that does the billing and management for the whole group. Honestly I don't get overly involved with that aspect of the practice. I run the residency program, and it is consuming.

hmmm...interesting...you guys have a "defined benefits" plan for retirement.

You guys have what sounds like a good running business where the "upper management" skims a little......or maybe a lot.....hard to tell.

Sounds kind of like the "unfair" job that all these young pups are making noise about?

I don't know about unfair. You eat what you kill..... Many of the more junior guys make more than me, but they work more. The good part is that if you want more vacation, then take it. If you want to make more, then volunteer for the extra late afternoon case. You'll make more. You don't have to. Screwing? That's best left for governors.

I don't know about unfair. You eat what you kill..... Many of the more junior guys make more than me, but they work more. The good part is that if you want more vacation, then take it. If you want to make more, then volunteer for the extra late afternoon case. You'll make more. You don't have to. Screwing? That's best left for governors.

I didn't say unfair or screwing.....I'm just saying that...that's what these young pups would say.

I did say...there is some "skimming"...

Honestly...no value judgement here....I'm just verifying to see if my assessment of the situation is correct.

Honestly, I'd have to admit it splits down the line that those who are in don't feel like it's skimming, while the others who are out feel like Ashley Dupre. The fees are the same that other companies charge for the same service.

Mil and numbmd: great thread and posts. I learned a lot thank you and Bravo.:)

finepostuk2.jpg

bump for private practice in NJ.

any new info about north jersey practices?

I am not sure, but we may be looking for someone. (St. Barnabas). As of yet, there has been no issues with NAPA. And for various reasons, I doubt that they have any realistic chance of coming to ST. Barnabas.