esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
I'm currently under the academic fresh start in TX, which means that for PUBLIC medical schools, my grades that are > 10 years old are thrown out. However, that state exemption doesn't apply to private schools (which at this point is only Baylor). TCU is opening up a med school in 2018 that will be private so normally my AFS would not apply to them. However, I also attended TCU for 3 years as an undergrad from 2007 - 2010 and the institution has its own academic fresh start program which is basically the same as the state sponsored program Thus, as an undergrad, TCU threw out all my grades that were > 10 years old and didn't reflect them on my official transcripts or GPA.

So the question is, do you think the medical school will allow me to apply under the university's academic fresh start provision as well since the undergrad institution admitted me under it or do you think the medical school will have its own way of doing things and not care about the undergrad institution program?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
TX is its own separate republic. There is no telling what TCU might do. You may as well ask them as there is no comparable situation from which to draw conclusions.

OP
esob

esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
Does it matter? No, not in the least with respect to your opinion influencing the school's decision. It does however, matter because I'm curious if anyone has ever seen a similar situation. Plenty of private schools offer fresh start initiatives so there is at least some sliver a possibility that someone has run into a similar situation before where an undergrad institution had an academic fresh start and allowed that person to apply to one of their graduate programs under the undergrad's provision.

T

trev5150

We could speculate all day and the probability that we guess right is gonna be pretty slim. It's only gonna cost you fifty bucks or whatever app fees are to find out.